FPS that is the acronym for Frames Per Second refers to the number of pictures that a display can render in one second and is an important aspect that each and every gamer has to consider. Basically, the higher the frame rate the smoother the game experience as well. This is why gamers are always in constant pursuit in order to increase their screen’s FPS. This could be via simple tweaks of the graphics settings or upgrading the GPU. In this article, we are going to talk about Best FPS Counter Apps for Windows 10 – Tutorial. Let’s begin!
Either way, you will have to see the FPS that your game is running on at any specific moment. In order to determine if you are making any progress or if you have to take more actions. There are a lot of ways you can view your game’s FPS and in this post, we will be focusing on one in specific. The use of dedicated software as well. But, it’s still nice to know what options that you have so we will first look at some other ways you can check the FPS before resorting to the use of software as well.
Best FPS Counter Apps for Windows 10
There is also no shortage of apps that can add an FPS counter on Windows 10. These apps will normally only work whenever you’re playing a game because there are few other apps. That need or refresh frames at the same rate that games do.
Windows 10 basically comes with a built-in FPS counter. It works along with the Windows 10 game bar. You do not have to install anything and also you can pin the FPS counter to the screen and use it to monitor the frame rate.
- Just Run a game.
- Click on the Win+G keyboard shortcut to show the game bar.
- Turn on the Performance widget.
- Choose the FPS tab on the widget.
- Move the widget to a corner of the screen actually.
- Tap on the pin icon to pin it.
- The FPS for the game will be shown live actually.
GeForce Experience in-game overlay
If you guys have a gaming PC/system, then you will have a GPU. If it’s an Nvidia GPU. You can also install the GeForce Experience app and turn on the in-game overlay. This overlay will, among other things, show the FPS for a game.
- Just download GeForce Experience from Nvidia.
- Open GeForce Experience and tap on the cogwheel button at the top right.
- Head to the General tab and enable the Game overlay.
- Tap on the Settings button.
- Choose HUD Layout.
- Head to the FPS Counter tab.
- Choose which corner of the screen you want the FPS to appear in.
- Just run a game and tap Alt+Z.
- The FPS counter will appear as well.
Steam in-game overlay | Best FPS Counter Apps
If you’re playing a Steam game, then you should know it has an in-game overlay that can actually show the FPS.
In order to turn it on, just follow these steps.
- Just open Steam.
- Head to Steam>Settings.
- Choose the In-game tab.
- Now open the In-game FPS counter dropdown.
- Choose which corner of the screen you want it to appear on.
- Run the game and click on the Shift+Tab keyboard shortcut to enable it.
The Windows 10 game bar FPS monitor is only a few years old and also Windows users have long needed a way to monitor the FPS in-game. They’ve relied on Fraps actually.
Fraps has not been updated in a long time actually. Its product page does not even mention Windows 10 however, it works just fine on the OS and can also be used to monitor the FPS of a game.
- First of all run Fraps.
- Head to the app’s settings.
- Choose the FPS tab.
- Turn on the FPS box under benchmarking.
- Choose which corner of the screen the FPS should appear on.
- Set a toggle to show or hide it.
- Open a game now.
- Tap on the toggle and the FPS will appear in a corner.
MSI Afterburner – FPS monitor | Best FPS Counter Apps
MSI Afterburner is a tool famous with users who like to overclock or undervault their GPU. It is actually a feature-rich tool capable of monitoring your system and you can also use it to turn on an FPS counter on Windows 10.
- Download and then install MSI Afterburner.
- Head to the app’s settings.
- Choose the Monitoring tab.
- From the list of items, you have to choose and enable Framerate (checkmark should be active).
- Turn on the ‘Show in On-screen display’ option.
- The FPS counter will be displayed whenever you guys run a game.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!