FFXIV is basically a game from one of the most successful gaming franchises of all time. However, its PC port suffers from a lot of performance issues and errors. The FFXIV Fatal DirectX error is one of them and it has also been striking PC gamers since the game was released. In this article, we are going to talk about Fix Final Fantasy 14 Fatal Directx Error. Let’s begin!
There are a lot of working solutions for the problem, also including a really successful workaround that might spoil the overall experience. But, it will most definitely solve the problem for you as well. You have to check out the methods we have prepared for you below!
What is the FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error?
FinalFantasyXIV is a massively famous online game amongst the gaming community all over the world. Because of its customization features for characters & interactive features in order to converse with other players. But, it is a well-known fact that users mostly face fatal errors and cannot determine their cause. Occasionally arising out of nowhere, that states, “A Fatal DirectX error has occurred. (11000002)”, is a nightmare of any gamer as well. The screen briefly freezes just before the error message is displayed, and also the game crashes.
How to Fix Final Fantasy 14 Fatal Directx Error
The error is most of the time caused via using DirectX 11 in fullscreen games. That apparently goes wrong on some graphics cards and some setups. Running the game in a borderless window and switching back to fullscreen after a while might do the trick as well.
Apart from that, you guys should check if your drivers are outdated or if a new driver has messed things up. You can uninstall the current one and then try out many different ones to see if it helps. At last, using the SLI technology has always caused the game in order to crash so you might consider disabling it completely when your play the game.
Run the Game in Borderless Window and Enter Fullscreen Afterwards
Since the game often crashes during startup, then changing the in-game settings regarding the display is practically impossible actually. Still, one method is to easily edit a configuration file in order to run the game and then also use a key combination in order to switch to full-screen later on. Just check it out below as well!
- You have to open the File Explorer on your computer and navigate to Documents via clicking its entry at the left navigation pane.
- You have to locate a folder named FINAL FANTASY XIV and double-click to open it. Also, locate a file named “FFXIV.cfg”. Right-click the file and then select Open with >> Notepad from the context menu in order to edit it as well.
- You can use the Ctrl + F key combination or tap on Edit at the top menu and select the Find option from the dropdown menu in order to open the Search box.
- Also, you have to type “ScreenMode” in the search box and change the value next to it to 2. You can use the Ctrl + S key combination in order to save the changes or just tap on File >> Save and exit Notepad.
- Just try to run the game again in order to check if the FFXIV Fatal DirectX error keeps occurring after performing these steps as well.
Note: Since the game will now launch in a borderless window, you guys might want to go back to fullscreen easily. Because it’s probably difficult to go to in-game settings each time to switch to fullscreen, then you can use the Alt + Enter key combination for the same job as well!
Update or Roll Back Your Graphics Card Drivers
Well, as almost all DirectX errors go, it definitely may also be caused by the faulty or outdated graphics card driver and you guys should replace it as soon as you get the chance. But, there are two different scenarios that may also have occurred: you guys might have updated your drivers and the error started in order to occur or you guys didn’t update them in a while. Either way, you can select your drivers easily!
- Tap on the Start menu at the lower-left part of the screen, type in “Device Manager” afterward, and choose it from the list of available results via simply tapping the first one.
- You can also tap on the Windows Key + R key combination in order to bring up the Run dialog box. Type in “devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box and then tap on OK in order to run it.
- Because it’s the graphics card driver you guys want to update on your computer. Tap on the arrow next to the Display adapters section, right-click on your video card and then choose the Uninstall Device option.
- Confirm any dialogues or prompts that may ask you in order to confirm the uninstallation of the current graphics device driver. And then wait for the process to complete.
- Now you have to look for your graphics card driver on the card’s manufacturer’s website and then just follow the instructions that should be available on the site. After performing a search for your card, OS, and CPU architecture, you guys should try various different drivers, starting from the newest one.
- Save the installation file on your PC and run the executable from there. Your computer may restart a lot of times during the installation.
- Check to see if the FFXIV Fatal DirectX error message appears after launching the game as well.
Turn off SLI | final fantasy 14 fatal
SLI is basically an NVIDIA technology for multiple graphics cards in the same setup. And it’s a really great thing for users who are really all about performance and running each and everything maxed out. But, this feature appears to be rejected via many games and setups and it causes a lot of issues. If you guys are receiving the Fatal DirectX error, then you should definitely consider disabling SLI.
- Right-tap on your desktop, at the blank side without icons, and then choose the NVIDIA Control Panel entry from the context menu that will appear. You can also double-click the NVIDIA icon in the system tray if you see it. NVIDIA Control Panel can also be located in the regular Control Panel via switching to the Large icons view and then locating it.
- When you have opened the NVIDIA Control Panel, then head over to the 3D settings menu at the left side navigation pane and tap on the Set SLI configuration option.
- In the end, choose the Do not use SLI technology option and tap on Apply in order to confirm the changes. Launch FFXIV again and then check to see if the same error still appears or not.
Run FFXIV via DirectX 9 | final fantasy 14 fatal
If the game is unable to run via DirectX 11 (which is set as default by Windows). Then you guys can try switching to DirectX 9 and then run the game using it. Users also have claimed that changing Direct X11 to DirectX 9 also has resolved the fatal error as well.
Tur off DirectX 11
You guys can also disable DirectX 11 in-game via navigating to Settings > System Configuration > Graphics tab. Just like that, you can do so without even entering the game.
How to turn on DirectX 9
- Double-tap on the Steam icon on your desktop or search for Steam via the Taskbar search.
- You can then navigate to the Library at the top of the Steam window. Then, scroll down in order to find Final Fantasy XIV from the game list.
- Just right-click on the Game and choose Properties.
- Tap on the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS button and then set the Direct 3D 9 (-dx9) as the default.
- In order to confirm the changes, just tap on the Ok button.
If you guys don’t see the above option then right-click on the game and choose Properties. In the LAUNCH OPTIONS, you have to type “-force -dx9” (without quotes) and close the window in order to save changes.
The game will now use Direct X9, and hence, the FFXIV Fatal DirectX error should be resolved.
Disable AMD Crossfire | final fantasy 14 fatal
- Right-tap on an empty area on the desktop and then choose AMD Radeon Settings.
- Now, just tap on the Gaming tab in the AMD window.
- Then, tap on Global Settings in order to view additional settings.
- Toggle off the AMD Crossfire option in order to disable it & to fix the fatal error issue.
What is a fatal DirectX error?
In “A Fatal DirectX error has occurred (11000002)”, and the screen then briefly freezes just before the error message is displayed, and also the game crashes. The majority of DirectX issues are basically the result of a faulty or out-of-date graphics card driver as well. When you guys encounter the fatal DirectX error, then you have to make sure the driver for your graphics card is up to date.
As long as your PC meets the minimum requirements, then you can install DirectX 12.
You can also find an installer on the Final Fantasy XIV official website. The process is really intuitive
How do I update DirectX?
- Tap on the Windows key on your keyboard and then type check.
- After that, just tap on Check for updates from the search result.
- Tap on the “Check for updates” button and follow the on-screen instructions in order to Update Windows.
- This will install all the latest updates, also including DirectX.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!