Some people prefer reading digital clocks in the 24-hour “military” format. However, a lot of people instead prefer 12-hour clocks. Windows 10 defaults to using the 24-hour format. This guide will cover how to change the clock to use the 12-hour format. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Change to a 12-hour Clock in Windows 10. Let’s begin!
You can configure the time format settings in the Settings app. The easiest way to get to the right page is to right-click on the clock in the taskbar and then click “Adjust date or time”. This option will be near the top of the drop-down box.
Change to a 12-hour Clock
This will open the Settings app on the “Data & time” page. Here you can set what time zone you’re in, but annoyingly you can’t choose between the 12- and 24-hour clocks. To get to the right page, you can click “Date, time & regional formatting” under “Related settings” in the top right. Alternatively, you can click on the “Region” tab. Both will take you to the same place.
In the Region settings, click the link at the bottom of the page, “Change data formats”.
Here you can change the short and the long time displays to be in the 12-hour format. To do so, click on their respective drop-down boxes and select the short format you prefer. The clock options are the 24-hour and 12-hour clocks, both with and without leading 0’s.
Change 24 Hour Clock to 12 Hour Clock in Windows 10 | Change to a 12-hour Clock
- Click on the Windows 10 Start button and select Settings
- Click on Time and Language
- Next, click on the Change date and time formats link (See image below).
- On the next screen, click on Short Time and pick h: mm tt from the drop-down choices. Next, click on a Long Time and choose h:mm: ss tt from the drop-down (See image below).
To explain this change to a 12-hour Clock better, on a Windows 10 computer that is displaying time in 24-hour clock format, you will find the Long Time and Short Time settings displaying a capital letter ‘H‘ which stands for 24-hour time format. All that you need to do is to click on the drop-down menu and pick a choice that has small ‘h‘ in it.
- Short Time : H: mm – Change this to h: mm tt
- Long Time: H:mm: ss – Change this to h:mm: ss tt
The letters ‘tt’ in the above 12 hour settings stand for AM or PM. Hence, the time on your Windows 10 computer will now be displayed as 6:45 PM or AM.
- Once you have selected the 12 hour time format (any choice with a small ‘h’), just close the settings window. The change will be reflected immediately on both Long and Short time locations of your computer.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you like this Change to a 12-hour Clock article and find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!