Discord is basically a communication tool that has a large user-base in the gaming community. In fact, most folks assume that it’s built specifically to cater to gamers actually. Its support for many servers makes folks think that it is suited only for large communities that use it to connect with even larger audiences again. That makes it perfect for gaming communities for popular titles such as Fortnight. It can in fact be used for all sorts of communication needs, and not just for gaming actually. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix If you cant hear people on discord. Let’s begin!
Can’t Hear People On Discord
Discord is a really capable communications app. It supports each and every communication tool that you can find on other popular apps such as Skype and Microsoft Teams. It has channels such as Slack in order to keep conversations organized by topic and it has audio and video calling as well.
Discord also works with whichever audio output device is connected to your system. There is no special set-up needs to make calls along with Discord. In fact, when you install the app, or open it, it can then automatically detect the default hardware that’s set for audio output on your system, and switch to use it. That said, most of the times the hardware or the app can run into problems and you can’t hear people over a call actually.
Change default communication device
Discord is basically a communication app and on Windows 10. Users can set an audio device as the default communication device in order to use for these types of apps.
- First, open the Control Panel.
- Head to Hardware and Sound>Sound.
- Choose the Playback tab.
- Right-click your headphones and then choose ‘Set as default communication device’.
- Then restart the Discord app.
Keep in mind Speakers generally cannot be set as the default communication device. However, if you guys are using line-in speakers or external ones. Then you should still check if they can be set as the default communication device or not.
Use Legacy audio subsystem
The audio problem in Discord might have to do with an old, outdated, and also possibly unsupported audio device. Fortunately, Discord has a setting that permits it to work well really with old, outdated hardware.
- First, you have to open Discord.
- Head to the app’s settings.
- Choose the Voice and Video tab.
- Then scroll down to the Audio Subsystem dropdown.
- Choose Legacy and relaunch the app when prompted to.
Check in-app volume | Cant Hear People on Discord
Discord has its own volume controls for both audio input and output actually. If the volume is set to zero in the app, then you won’t be able to hear anything.
- First of all open Discord.
- Head to the app’s settings.
- Choose the Voice and Video tab.
- Make sure that the volume for the input and output device is not set to zero, or it’s not set too low as well.
If nothing else worked then it might be due to a bug or software update. Discord releases a lot of updates and it mostly does not take long to download and install the updates. So, you might not have noticed but your Discord might have been updated. And this problem might cause via a bug or problem may be. In these cases, Discord mostly rolls back the update that resolves the issue or releases a new fix. So, refreshing the Discord will trigger the update and, therefore, also solve the issue.
Simply close the Discord and then reopen it or click on CTRL + R to refresh the Discord.
Change primary audio input or output device | Cant Hear People on Discord
The audio input or output device is basically set at the system level and is generally inherite through the app. If your sound troubles persist, then try to changing the primary audio input or output device the Settings app.
- Head to the System group of settings.
- Choose the Sound tab.
- Then open the dropdown under the Output section, and then select your headphones (or another audio device).
- Now scroll down to the Input section and repeat the above.
- Then restart Discord.
- Head to Discord’s settings.
- Choose the Voice and video tab.
- Now open the Input Device and Output Device dropdowns, and choose the same audio device that you selected in the Settings app.
- Then restart the app one more time.
If the sound problem in Discord stems from a bug in the app, then it is possible that the same bug is avoiding it from updating. In that case, if you install the app fresh is a good way in order to fix problems.
- First, open Control Panel.
- Head to Programs>Uninstall a program.
- Choose Discord, and tap on Uninstall.
- When the Discord has uninstalled, download it again, and then install the app.
- Sign in with your account, and then try a voice or video call.
Use Web Version | Cant Hear People on Discord
If nothing is working then you now have the option to use the Web version of Discord. If the problem is caused by a bug in the Discord app then you guys won’t experience the issue in web version actually. Simply open your web browser and then enter discordapp.com. You should be good to go.
Troubleshoot system audio
It is also possible that Windows 10 is unable to detect your headphones that is why Discord is unable to use them as well. If that’s the case, then you need to move your troubleshooting to the system. We have some of the fixes that you can try out if there is no sound from headphones on your Windows 10 system. Go through them all and then fix your system’s audio problem. The problems in the Discord app should now resolve themselves.
Change Server Region | Cant Hear People on Discord
In most of the cases, changing the server region can fix this issue immediately. Therefore, in this step, we will try to change the server region. For that, you need to:
- First, you have to tap on the server to opens server settings.
- Tap on “Overview” and then choose the “Server Region” dropdown
- From here, you will choose a different region.
- Tap on the “Save Changes” option and then check to see if the issue persists or not.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this “cant hear people on discord” article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Also See: Use VPN To Get Unbanned From Omegle