The Z2 Play is a successor to last year’s Moto Z Play and brings some upgrades both in terms of hardware and software. Taking the prior into consideration. The Z2 Play has a Snapdragon 626 Octa-core processor clocked at 2.2 GHz, a 12 MP dual-LED camera with f/1.7, USB 3.1 support, and much more. However, the updated model is not much different from the original. It is worth buying because it features Moto mods and Nougat 7.1.1 out of the box. It also expected to be upgraded to Android 8.0 Oreo soon. Well, in this article, we are going to talk about How to perform Moto Z2 Play Root-Install TWRP. Let’s begin!
While the phone has a decent hardware config, it is quite possible to give a nice kick to its performance and battery life by rooting. Once you Root Moto Z2 Play, you will be able to have full control over the system and you can also customize it internally without any limitations. Now there is a fair discussion on the internet; whether rooting your Android is really worth it or not?
Being a consistent root user for years now, I can say that it is definitely worth it. Rooting allows you to achieve almost anything and enjoy features and applications from different OEMs on your device. It also lets you freely modify your device’s software without any limitations from the company. Kernel tweaking apps, custom themes, etc are part of the rooting privilege. So, if you are all set and ready to root Moto Z2 Play, go ahead and do it right now!
In the procedure below, we will be first installing TWRP recovery on the device. This will enable us to install mods, ROMs, kernels, and also flash the root package to root Moto Z2 Play.
How to Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP and Root Moto Z2 Play
We have divided this article into individual parts for you to better understand the entire procedure. We understand that rooting for the first time could be confusing, frustrating, and also very time-consuming. But if you are following the guide below, then that would not be the case at all.
- Take a backup of your device. This also includes internal storage. In case anything goes unplanned, you will have all you need to restore your device back.
- Charge your Z2 Play to at least 60-70% charging level to avoid any hiccups during the process.
- Enable USB debugging, set up ADB, and then initiate ADB access between the PC and also device.
Unlock Bootloader on Moto Z2 Play
In order to root and install TWRP on Moto Z2 Play, you will need to first unlock your bootloader. Luckily, you can do it pretty easily by following this article. If you unlock the bootloader, then it will enable you to execute fastboot commands which will be required to flash the TWRP custom recovery.
Install TWRP Recovery
TWRP is currently available for Moto Z2 to Play unofficially through XDA member – Santhosh M. We are really grateful to him for working this out for the users.
- Download the TWRP recovery image for Moto Z2 Play: twrp-3.2.1-0-Albus.img
- Copy the downloaded file to C:\adb (Prerequisites: Pointer #3) where the fastboot binaries are present.
- Then connect your device to the PC using the USB cable. Make sure that USB debugging is enabled.
- Open the command prompt window and enter the command below to reboot your Moto Z2 Play into fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- As soon as your phone boots into fastboot mode. Then enter the command to flash TWRP on Moto Z2 Play:
fastboot flash recovery twrp_3.2.1-0_albus.img
- It should not take more than a few seconds to complete. Once it is, then reboot the device:
Now You have just successfully installed TWRP on Moto Z2 Play. Now comes the turn to Root Moto Z2 Play using Magisk.
That’s all Folks! I hope you like this article and find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!