In Windows 10, there are a number of options that you can use to change sounds for different system events, configure output and input devices, and much more. Starting with Windows 10, Microsoft has added the ability to change the output audio device along with the Settings app. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Set Default Audio Device Windows 10. Let’s begin!
Windows 10 permits you to select which output audio device to use by default in the OS. Modern PCs, laptops, and tablets can use classic speakers, Bluetooth headphones, and many other audio devices that you can actually connect simultaneously.
The default audio output device is a device that Windows 10 is using in order to play the audio. Other devices can be set to mute or to play the same audio stream. Note: Some third-party applications can utilize other devices with special options in their settings and also override the system preferences.
There are a number of ways to select the default audio device in Windows 10. Let’s have a look at them.
Change Default Audio Device in Windows 10
- First, open Settings.
- Then go to System – Sound.
- On the right, choose the required device in the drop-down list select your output device.
- You might need to restart some applications such as audio players to make them read the changes you made.
You are all done.
Set the Default Audio Device with a Sound flyout
Another new option that starts with Windows 10 Anniversary Update is the ability to select the default audio device right from the sound volume flyout. Here is how.
In order to change the Default Audio Device, do the following.
- Tap on the sound volume icon in the system tray.
- Tap on the up arrow in the sound flyout
- Select the wished audio device from the list.
- Restart your audio apps if required.
Set the default audio device along with the classic Sound applet
The classic Sound applet can be used in order to set the default audio device. As of this writing, it is accessible from both the system tray and Control Panel. Let’s see how you can do it.
- Right-click the sound icon at the end of the taskbar.
- Choose Sounds from the context menu.
- This will then open the Sounds tab of the classic applet.
- Select the desired device in the list and tap on the Set Default button.
Note that the Sound dialog can be opened faster using one for the following commands:
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,0
The command above is actually a Rundll32 command. The RunDll32 app permits launching classic Control Panel applets directly.
Note that The classic Sound applet is still available in the Control Panel as of this writing along with Windows 10 Build 17074.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this how to set default audio device windows 10 article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Also See: How To Turn On DLNA Server in Windows 10