Well, it has been a while since I’m using canon 70d to shoot YouTube videos. However, I recently found out about CineStyle by Technicolor actually. Without giving it much thought, I went straight ahead and then installed it on DSLR. And I’ve to say, I’m really impressed. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Use CineStyle to Shoot Video From Canon DSLR. Let’s begin!
Well, to those who don’t really know, Cinestyle is basically a picture profile available for Canon EOS Cameras. Just consider it like this; generally, when you tap on the record button of your DSLR. It then shoots video in Auto mode. And any video shot in an auto mode has actually less room for color correction in the post. But, if you guys change the picture profile mode from Auto to Cinestyle, then it will capture more details in the video, providing you more freedom to play with colors as well.
Is Cinestyle safe?
For the most part, yes it’s. As I said before, Cinestyle is actually a color profile, (and not a firmware). It only contains slight tweaks to the picture settings such as curve, adjustments, saturation, and contrast, etc. So, it won’t really affect your camera firmware. In a nutshell, Cinestyle does not void your warranty actually.
In order to start with Cinestyle, you just have to load the cinestyle file on your DSLR along with the EOS utility, and then start using it immediately, That said, if it’s your first time owning a DSLR, then you guys might find the process a bit complicated. So here is a complete step by step guide on how to download and use Cinesytle on a Canon camera as well. The plugin works only for Canon cameras, however, you can find similar plugins (such as Cineflat for Nikon) online. That said, let’s begin now. Shall we?
How to Use CineStyle to Shoot Video From Canon DSLR
Download Cinestyle on your PC
- In order to start, download the CineStyle plugin from the Technicolor website. You guys will have to enter your details such as name, email address, etc. When you tap on the submit button, you will get the download link in your email, so make sure you use a legit email address actually.
When you tap on the download link and it will then automatically unzip a folder on your PC.
- Now that you have cinestyle’s files on your PC, you now need an app to transfer it to your DSLR, just simply copy-pasting it in the SD card won’t work as well.
So, go to Canon official website, tap on your Camera model number, and then download the relevant EOS Utility app.
- Now connect your DSLR to your computer via the USB cable and switch on the camera. When you connect it, the EOS Utility app will then automatically open on your computer screen.
- In the EOS utility app, tap on camera settings. A new window will now open with a bunch of camera options. You have to tap on “Register User Defined style” in the shooting menu.
- This will then open the finder window where you’ll have to locate the downloaded file on your PC. Tap on the browse button and navigate to the folder that contains the ‘technicolor_cinestyle_v1’ file.
- Next, tap OK, in order to save changes. That’s just it, you have successfully loaded Cinestyle in your DSLR. It’s a really small file so, won’t take much time. Exit the application and then disconnect your DSLR as well.
Set CineStyle mode on your DSLR
- Well, by default, your DSLRs records in Auto, so in order to record in Cinestyle mode. You have to set the picture profile to Cinestyle. To do this, just open up your DSLR, and head to Setting > Video Settings > Look for the option Picture Style and then open it.
- A new window will now open with many predefined user modes, then scroll down and you shall see Cinestyle mode. Turn it on.
You guys will notice that your preview in the viewfinder turns a bit faded. The videos will look washed out actually. This is actually because the saturation, contrast, etc are set to low. Don’t worry, this is normal and it means, you are now recording in CineStyle mode.
In order to start recording in Cinetstyle, just simply press the record button and there you go actually.
Color Grade CineStyle in your Video editor
Now, that you guys have recorded the footage in Cinestyle, you will need to color correct them through your video editing software actually. Adobe Premiere Pro CC has the in-built Lumetri color panel in order to apply LUTs whereas if you are a Final Cut Pro X user actually. You will need third-party extensions to apply LUTs such as the mLUT plugin.
So, let’s now see how to color grade Cinesytle video in Final Cut Pro X
- Start through downloading the mLUT plugin on your PC. In order, to do this, just create a free account at motion fx and then download mInstaller.
When you download it, open, and install the mInstaller app on your PC. This application is required in order to install mLUT on your PC actually.
Next, download mLut (free) from the official website.
- To proceed further, you will have to add mLut to your cart, and when you tap on checkout. You’ll then be redirected to the minstaller app that we actually downloaded in the previous step. The installation will take place automatically actually.
- Then, open or restart FCP. Head to Effects, and there you guys will find mLut.
Just simply choose the video clips and apply the luts via tapping on the mLut library. In order to adjust the intensity, tap on the file, and then go to video effects and then adjust the intensity from there.
Well, Cinestyle is basically a picture profile that cuts some of the contrast; effectively capturing more details in your image actually. You can achieve the same effect, through turning down the contrast, saturation, and sharpness of your camera. However, Cinestyle, helps you do all of that along with just a click.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Also See: How to Enable Camera2API and get DSLR features on Android