Hey Guys! Do you want to play arcade games on your PC? Getting started with MAME is not easy for the average Joe. There is also a lot to learn. Where do you put the game files? What commands do you use? How do you get the joystick working? Here’s a mini-guide for those that just want to quickly get up and running with MAME for Windows. In this article, we are going to talk about how to use it For Arcade Games on PC. Let’s begin!
- Download MAME Binaries.
- Extract the files. When prompted for a directory, provide a folder you wish to extract the files to. In this example, we use “C:\mame“.
- You will want to download ROMs to use with MAME. Also, you can search ROMs for almost any arcade game, however, it may not be legal for you to use many of them. You can always get legal ROMS as we did.
- When you download MAME Roms, they come in ZIP format. You do not need to extract them. Leave them zipped and place them in the “C:\mame\roms” folder.
- Bring up a DOS command prompt. In order to do this click “Start” > “Run” and then type “CMD“.
- Type “cd\” to go to the root directory.
- Then type “cd mame” to go into the “C:\mame” folder.
Now to start, you type mame, then space, then the game file you want to use:
- Example: mame Robby
If you have a joystick or gamepad you wish to use, then you have to use the -joystick switch:
- Example: mame Robby -joystick
Then the game rom should run.
- To insert a quarter, press 5.
- For 1 player, press 1. For 2 players, press 2.
- P pauses the rom.
- You can also press Tab to access the options in MAME.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!