Just like Procreate, Sketchbook also features a pen-friendly interface. Users can use colors, brushes, mirror images, and draw other form factors also, it stores the images and also save the progress automatically. However, Procreate has 128 brushes, each with 50 customizable settings for every brush. SketchBook doesn’t have that many brushes and the maximum size of brushes are also quite small.
- A fully-featured version of SketchBook is now Free
- A comprehensive collection of professional tools at your disposal
- The learning curve is sharp as compared with ProCreate.
- Need users to be familiar with the desktop version of the Autodesk Sketchbook
Available For – Android, iPad, iOS, and Windows
Price– Completely free now
ArtRage (procreate for windows)
If you prefer the old fashion drawing style, then you would like ArtRage. The good thing about ArtRage is that it tries to mimic real paint as naturally as possible. You can mix colors as you do with real paint. Other important things include tools to keep track of wetness, thickness, and lighting direction.
- Unbelievable and natural experience of using the digital medium to create art
- The interface is pretty instinctive
- Lack of advanced tools
- The app tends to get inactive or gets hung up
- Upgrade to a new version costs money every time
Available For– Android, iPad, iOS, macOS, and Windows
Price: $79/50% discount for current users who wish to upgrade
Adobe Photoshop Sketch (procreate for windows)
Adobe Photoshop Sketch tool has been designed to create digital art. Besides Photoshop if you like to use Photoshop’s brush features, you will like using Sketch a bit more. Although, you don’t need to know Photoshop to use this app.
The good thing about the app is seamless Adobe product integration. For example, you can import the brush you have used in Photoshop or export your artwork in apps like Photoshop and Lightroom. It’s a vector-based program the resulting files are smaller in size and thus it can be shared easily.
Available For – macOS, Android, and iOS
- A clear app with highly accurate tools.
- The app UI and UX help retain your creativity
- 14+ different brushes to choose from
- The biggest downside is that it is only available for Mac
- Short third-party app/plugin support
- Lack of image editing tools
Krita (procreate for windows)
Krita offers the most natural sketching experience in a digital medium. It offers comics and textures and the default brushes should be more than enough for creating any type of arts. Krita enables users to customize the brushes if the demand for the same arose. The best thing about Krita is that it has a color wheel and an integrated reference panel.
Available for– macOS, Windows, Linux, and iOS (Krita Gemini)
- Tailor-made software for the artist.
- Focus on prototypical
- Not on Android as of now
- Open, and edit Photoshop’s PSD files
- The interface lacks intuitiveness.
- Users complain of software lagging.
- The tablet version, that is Krita Gemini needs to be downloaded from the Valve Steam Store app
Sketches by A. Tayasui (procreate for windows)
Sketches help the artists draw on tablets and macOS. The best thing about the tool is an array of artist tools including pencil, pens, erasers, and brushes. The layout of the tool deserves a special mention. Other advanced features include the Fill Transfer function that will help you fill based on the created pattern. Furthermore, the Fill Transfer function helps you create overlapping effects without the need for separate colors.
Available For– macOS, iOS, and Android
- Excellent interface, functional and clutter-free
- The Pro version is priced at $1.99 that makes it relatively cheaper
- Brush customization choice is somewhat limited
- Cannot change the size of the canvas
- Layers are offered only on the Pro version
Price– Free version/ Pro Version free to try for 1-hour/ Pro License costs $1.99
Concepts (procreate for windows)
Concepts are a vector drawing app. It suits on precision measurement drawing besides freehand sketches. It provides a variety of payment options that lets you buy different tools. The free version gets you a handful of brushes and layers. Or you can get the Essentials pack for a one-time price of $9.99 or get everything for $4.99 per month.
Availability – Windows 10, iOS, and Android.
- Infinite canvas
- Buy what you want payment model
- Steep learning curve
Price– Free version/ Pro Version starts at $9.99 or $4.99 per month.
Which tool do you prefer for sketching? Let us know in the comment section below!