Older versions of Windows like 7, 8, or 8.1 did not have a standard PDF viewer pre-installed. Because of the release of Windows 10, users do not necessarily need to install a third-party tool in order to view PDF files. Because the PDF viewing function is integrated along with Microsoft Edge. Thus, whenever installing Windows 10, Microsoft Edge appears not only as the default Internet browser but also as the default PDF viewer actually. In this article, we are going to talk about some Somethings Keeping this PDF from Opening – Fix. Let’s begin!
Whenever someone taps on a PDF file, the system automatically starts MS Edge. Unfortunately, a lot of folks have reported problems along with Edge when opening PDF files. Mostly, this problem occurs after the installation of Windows 10 Creators Update or most of the time after regular updates.
Couldn’t open PDF
Something’s keeping this PDF from opening.
Suppose you guys are trying to access the website in Microsoft Edge, could you please try to access the website in another web browser actually. Such as Google Chrome or Internet Explorer, and see if it works?
Somethings Keeping this PDF from Opening – Fix
Well, the error commonly occurs if you have installed other PDF viewers. Because they may interfere along with Edge, however, opening PDF documents. Also clearing cache is necessary as it can cause browser issues over time as well. As a starting point, and you can try and to reset the browser as a default PDF viewer. Or also repair the browser or try the following suggestions in order to overcome the problem.
- You can set Microsoft Edge as a default PDF viewer
- Delete Cache in Microsoft Edge as well
- Also, repair Microsoft Edge.
Via Settings App
- Right-tap on Start Button or press Windows + X keys and choose Settings.
- In the Settings app, and then navigate to Apps > Default apps.
- Now in the Default apps section, and tap on the Choose default apps by file type link.
- On the next screen, and scroll down and look for .pdf (PDF File) and then choose Microsoft Edge here.
- If Microsoft Edge is already selected, then just re-select it.
- Now open Microsoft Edge, and see if you guys can open PDF file now.
If the issue still persists, then just try FIX 2 mentioned below.
Reset or Re-register Microsoft Edge | somethings keeping this pdf from opening
Choosing Microsoft Edge as the default PDF app should resolve this issue. However, in case it did not help you, then try to reset Microsoft Edge first.
You guys can reset the Microsoft Edge app using the steps mentioned in this guide. Keep in mind that resetting the app will basically remove the associated app data. Or if you guys like, then you can also re-register Microsoft Edge.
I believe after re-registering Microsoft Edge, then the problem will no longer occur as well.
Clear Microsoft Edge cache
- Open Microsoft Edge and head to Menu and Settings.
- Tap on the Lock icon (Privacy and Security) option as well.
- Now under Browsing data, just tap on Choose what to clear.
- Choose cache data and files and then tap on Clear.
- Relaunch Microsoft Edge and also check for any improvements as well.
You guys can use the above procedure in order to clear Microsoft’s Edge cache or give it a try to a dedicated tool for instant and accurate results as well. Chances are that you guys are no tech expert, so in order to understand the differences between each and every cache and make an appropriate decision altogether. CCleaner has also a built-in default cleaning state as well.
Long story short, the default cleaning state chooses the caches that most likely need to be cleaned for you as well. Also, include one of your browsers actually.
Check for Windows Updates | somethings keeping this pdf from opening
- Tap on Start and then choose Settings.
- Head to Update and Security.
- Click on Windows Updates and check for any pending updates.
- Just download and install the update and check if the update has resolved the error as well.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this “somethings keeping this pdf from opening” article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!