Skype has been a long-running communication tool in the tech world. Useful for business and personal interactions online, Skype is available in a downloadable application on a mobile phone or desktop. In this article, we are going to tell you about how to Turn Off Skype Read Receipts on Mobile And Desktop. Let’s begin!
Read notifications have become a staple on all messaging applications and even apps that are meant for professional networking. The normal messaging app not only tells you when a message was read but also when it was delivered. Skype, which has long forgotten what people loved and used it for, has added a read notifications feature. As of this writing, the feature is live on macOS, iOS, and Android. Windows 10 users on the insider builds will also be able to use it and those on the stable version will get access to it pretty soon. If you are not a fan of read receipts on Skype, then you can turn them off. Let’s see how.
Read Receipt on Skype | Turn Off Skype Read Receipts
If you do not see anything above your message but the time stamp. Your message has been sent but not open. When the recipient reads the message you have sent you will see their profile picture appear. Just above the content on the right-hand side.
If you see the typing bubbles pop-up on the left-hand side just above the “Type a message” box. Your recipient is typing a reply.
Some users, especially those who are using Skype to communicate. For business purposes may enjoy the peace-of-mind that read receipts provide. Knowing that the message has been delivered and the recipient is responding can save time and decrease any worry about miscommunications.
If it is a weekend and you’d prefer not to show your boss or also your colleague. That you have read a message; Skype actually gives you the option to turn off these read receipts.
Turn Off Skype Read Receipts on Mobile
- Open the Skype app on your phone and tap your name at the top. This will take you to your profile screen.
- On your profile screen, tap the cogwheel button at the top right to go to the app’s settings.
- On the Skype settings screen, you will see different groups of settings you can manage.
- Go to the Messaging settings, and then turn the Send read receipts switch off.
Turn Off Skype Read Receipts on Desktop
- Launch the Skype app, sign in if necessary, and click the three dots to the right of your user information.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Then select Messaging from the list on the left.
- Use the toggle button to turn off Send read receipts.
With Skype read receipts disabled, you will still see read receipts for any contacts that have the feature enabled. But they won’t be able to see which messages you have read. If you are not seeing read receipts for contacts you expect. Then note that there are some limitations to the feature.
First of all, your contacts will need to be using a version of Skype that supports read receipts. They also need to be logged in with a visible presence setting. Conversations with groups of more than 20 people also won’t show read receipts. Finally, you won’t see them from anyone who has blocked you. Even if you both continue to be participants in a multiparty conversation.
Skype Online Status | Turn Off Skype Read Receipts
Depending on your use of Skype, the developers have implemented another useful tool to enhance your online activity or privacy. An online status lets others know if you are available to chat or not. Skype has four options:
This means that you are online and open to chats and calls. Characterized by the green dot; Available is the default online status.
If you set your online status to “Away” others will know that you are currently busy with something else. Characterized by an Orange dot; those who’d like to send you a message will not expect a speedy response. This online status is triggered by an idle computer or you can also set it manually in the settings.
Do Not Disturb
This online status lets others know you are not accepting messages at the moment. The difference between ‘Do not Disturb’ typically tells others you do not want to be contacted right now. While this online status is set; you won’t be alerted to any incoming messages. This is characterized by a red symbol.
When choosing the ‘Do not Disturb’ option you’re presented with the option to change messaging settings.
The invisible status is unique as you will still see messaging activity. But the sender will not know that you are online or not. Characterized by a grey and white dot; this online status serves to keep you in the loop without letting others know you are online.
Change your Online Status | Turn Off Skype Read Receipts
You can also update your online status through the desktop or your mobile device.
From the desktop application – Look for your name in the top left-hand corner of the app.
- Click on the circle with your initials (or profile picture) in it and then click on that.
- The first option available should be your current online status. Click on it and a pop-up will appear.
- Click on any of the options you’d like to change your status to.
After launching the Skype application on your phone or tablet –
- Tap on the circle with your initials (or profile picture) located in the center at the very top of the app.
- Then tap on your current online status located at the top under your name and email address.
- Choose from the four options available and tap.
Delete Skype Messages | Turn Off Skype Read Receipts
If you have accidentally sent a message to the wrong person and you are anxiously awaiting the backlash by watching read receipts. You can delete the messages you have sent. There is a short window for doing this but if you are quick enough you can alleviate any anxiety about a miscommunication.
- Start Skype on your Mac or PC and open the chat with the message you wish to delete.
- Right-click on the message (or click the three dots that appear beside it) and select “Remove.”
- Then click “Remove” again on the pop-up window to confirm.
- Start the Skype app on your iPhone or Android device and open the chat with the message to be removed.
- Tap and hold on the message.
- Then tap “Remove” and then hit “Remove” again to confirm your action.
Alright, That was Folks! I hope you like this Turn Off Skype Read Receipts article and find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!