Do you know what is ‘.DS_Store’ and how to Delete DS Store? It stands for Desktop Services Store. It is a hidden file that is created in every local folder in Mac OS X. This file saves custom attributes like the position of folder icons and the options of background colors. By default, it can be created in every local folder and Mac OS X access it.
As it is hidden, it’s not a big issue though. However, it acts as quite similar to Thumb.db created automatically in every folder in the Windows OS. Deleting the .DS_Store and Thumb.db are OK as they are not system files.
But the question is why to Delete DS Store when it is hidden in Mac OS X OS? Once you copy any folder from Mac to your Windows OS, these files become quite visible and irritating.
Deleting DS Store and Thumb.db
- Initially, copy Folder From Mac to Windows = .DB_Store. As it will become more visible and annoying
- Also, copy Folder From Windows to Mac = Thumb.db as it will become annoying and visible
FolderWasher is a free tool for both Mac and Windows OS (operating systems). However, it deletes .DB_Store and Thumb.db files from the folders quickly. Now, lets learn how to Delete the DS Store.
Simply drag and drop the folders that you like to clean this tool and it will handle the rest itself. Once you drag the folders, a prompt appears saying it will ask you for a few choices. Just choose the required action and tap Wash.
Here is the list of some amazing features of this tool that can Delete DS Store:
- Remove all files whose name starts with a period of a given folder
- It provides an ability to Zip compress the washed folder
- Ability to delete or erase ‘Thumb.db’ files on Mac
- Ability to make or create on the fly a list of files that can’t be deleted, like “.htaccess” files
- It’s easy to use and a user-friendly interface
Delete DS Store Conclusion:
Here’s all about “How to delete .DS_Store”. What are your views about it? Let us know your views in the comments section below!