Windows Update installs on the system whenever it is restarting. In case if you guys force shutdown your system whenever Windows is updating, then the update will not install properly on the system actually. Further, whenever you guys will restart your PC you will see a “We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off” message. In order to solve this issue follow these solutions on your computer, however, before going ahead. Then with these workarounds in order to try out some simpler solutions for the problem. In this article, we are going to talk about We Couldn’t Install Some Updates Because the PC was Turned Off. Let’s begin!
So if your system turns off in the middle of updates installation. Then you will see the following message in the Windows Update pane under the Settings app actually:
We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off.
- It needs a reboot of your system in order to complete a normal Windows Update process. Reboot your PC and then check if it works or not.
- Also, if you guys are using any antivirus on your PC, then just turn it off temporarily. And check if you guys can update your system or not.
If any of these simpler tricks didn’t work out for you, then just follow these solutions-
We Couldn’t Install Some Updates Because the PC was Turned Off
- First of all, just verify, if the updates are actually installs or not. For this, you need to head to Settings app > Update & Security > Windows Update > View installed update history. In most of the cases, the error may be falsely positive. If you guys can confirm that updates were installed OK, then ignore the error message and you are good to go! If updates actually failed to install, then just carry on the next steps to troubleshoot.
- Try to check for the updates again and install them manually. You can also install manual updates via the update catalog. In the update catalog, search for failed updates on your system and then download them manually and install them.
- And if the updates keep failing again, then the update database might also be corrupted. Just fix it using the steps mentioned in this fix and try to update it as well.
- If the update still refuses to install, then run the Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. The troubleshooter may hopefully find and also fix the issue as well.
- If the troubleshooter gives no help, then head ahead and reset Windows Update components.
- And in case if Windows keeps installing some of the updates again and again, then refer to this fix or block these updates.
- And, if you guys are installing a feature update and getting this error, then you should try an alternate method to upgrade your Windows version. The best alternative method is to perform an upgrade through an ISO file.
- If none of the above suggestions help, just perform a clean install.
Turn off Third-Party Antivirus Software | We Couldn’t Install Some Updates Because the PC Was Turned Off
If Windows 10 couldn’t be installed, then the culprit might be third-party antivirus software. So if you guys have installed one on your PC, it is then recommended to turn it off to fix the error as well.
But, if this way doesn’t actually work, then you can also try to uninstall your third-party antivirus completely and then update your operating system as well. This post – Multiple Ways to turn off Avast for PC and Mac Temporarily or Completely may be the one you need.
You don’t have to worry about your computer’s safe. As there is a strong built-in antivirus on Windows 10 – Windows Defender protecting your PC. If you guys have uninstalled the third-party anti-virus software, and you still can’t update Windows. Then you have to try the following methods too.
Perform Clean Boot
If the previous fix also doesn’t work, then you can clean boot your computer and determine what is actually causing the issue in this solution. There may be also a third-party application running in the background that avoids the Windows Update from downloading the updates. The steps are as follows, have a look:
- Tap on the Windows + R keys at the same time to open the Run application. Then type msconfig and then tap on OK.
- Now navigate to the Services tab and also check the Hide all Microsoft services option.
- Then press the Disable all button in order to turn off all of the third-party services.
- Just click Apply in order to save changes and exit. Then all of the Microsoft-relates services will left and all of the third-party services will also disable.
- Now just navigate to the Startup tab and press the Open Task Manager option. Then you guys will redirect to the task manager as well.
- Choose each and every service one via one and press the Disable button.
Now you guys can restart your PC and try to install updates. If it works properly, then it means that the issue is causing via some service or application. You can also open Task Manager again and try to enable each application one via one in order to check the behavior. Then you can also find out the application that causes the issue.
After that, you have to check to see if the “We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off” error still exists or not.
Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder | we couldn’t install some updates because the pc was turned off
Well, in this section, we will walk through the third method to fix the “Windows 10 couldn’t be installed” issue. In order to remove the contents of the Windows SoftwareDistribution folder, you can follow the steps below.
- You have to type Command Prompt in the Search menu. Then right-tap on it to select Run as administrator:
- Just run the following commands one by one and then tap Enter:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
Also, net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Now just head to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and remove all of the files & folders inside. Through tapping the Ctrl+A keys in order to choose all and then right-clicking to select Delete.
Further | We Couldn’t Install Some Updates Because the PC Was Turned Off
If these files are in use and you cannot delete some of these files, then you should restart your device. Run the above command again after you restart. Now you guys will be able to delete files from the Software Distribution folder on Windows 10 as well. After you empty this folder, you can then either restart your computer or type the following command in Command Prompt and then click Enter in order to restart Windows Update services as well:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
Also, net start bits
net start msiserver
Now, just run Windows Update again and then check in order to see if you still can’t update Windows. If the error still exists, then just try the next fix – Windows Update troubleshooter.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter |we couldn’t install some updates because the pc was turned off
Windows Update Troubleshooter is actually a feature design in order to fix Windows update errors for the common users. You guys can use it in order to fix the “you can’t update Windows” issue. Now you guys can follow the instructions step via step below to run Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Just type Settings in the Search box in order to open it. Now navigate to the Update & Security section and then choose to Troubleshoot in the left panel.
- Tap on Windows Update under the Getup and running section in the right panel. And then tap on Run the troubleshooter.
- You have to wait for the scanning process in order to detect the existing problems and then tap Apply this fix.
- Just follow the instructions that show on the screen in order to finish the repair process.
Now reboot your PC and try to update your Windows to check if the “We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off” error still exists or not.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this “we couldn’t install some updates because the pc was turned off” article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!