Windows 10 updates take a while to complete as Microsoft is constantly adding larger files and features to them. The biggest updates basically released in the spring and fall of every year, just take upwards of four hours to install. If there are no problems as well. The process takes even longer if you guys have a fragmented or nearly filled hard drive. In this article, we are going to talk about Why Windows 10 Update is Slow – What to Do. Let’s begin!
In addition to the large files and many features included in Windows 10 updates, internet speed can significantly affect installation times as well. This is especially true if your office network is overburdened by multiple people downloading the update at the same time.
Windows operating system comes along with many windows versions such as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and much more. The latest version of windows that is also available in the market is Windows 10. As we live in a world of technology, so day-to-day new updates also arrive in the market. Just like that, with Windows 10, new updates arrive daily. Windows 10 users can see a notification that a new update is also available for their system.
No matter how much you avoid updating your Windows, at some point in time, it becomes important in order to update it. Because many problems may start arising like your PC may slow down or many applications may stop supporting and running, as well. Updating Windows can give you new features such as security fixes, improvements, etc. And it is also not a really difficult task to keep your PC up-to-date.
Why Windows 10 Update is Slow – What to Do
Unfortunately, the Windows10 update process is really slow, and it takes a lot of time to update it. There are a lot of reasons why Windows 10 Updates are really slow. These are:
- Windows 10 is a really big, complicated operating system. There are some updates that are very small and are not even noticed whenever they are updated. Simultaneously, others are really large and massive and take a huge amount of time to update as well.
- If you guys are using a slow internet connection, then downloading even one gigabyte can also take hours.
- If multiple people try to update the window simultaneously, then this also affects the speed of updating.
- Windows may be really unoptimized. You guys might be using it for a really long time, and there is just too much old application data.
- You guys may have changed the wrong settings. If that is actually the case, then even well-tuned updates can take forever.
- Some updates have to cover many things, and a slow or old hard disk drive along with lots of unneeded files everywhere can create a lot of problems as well.
- Windows Update is itself a program, so just maybe its component or part of the program can break and throw the whole process off.
- However, updating windows, third-party applications, services, and also drivers may cause software conflicts.
- One of the reasons is that windows have to rewrite its registry each and every time it installs an update.
- How fragmented your hard drive is because if it is not properly fragmented and then the hard drive needs to do more searching for free space into which the computer can write updated files, and then it will consume a lot of time as well.
Scheduled Windows Updates using Active Hours
Active Hours lets you specify the hours in which you guys are most active on your device. In order to prevent Windows from updating your PC in the specified period of time automatically. No updates will be installed during those hours, however, you still can’t manually install these updates. Whenever a restart is necessary to finish installing an update, Windows won’t automatically restart your PC during active hours as well.
Check your Internet Connection | Windows 10 Update is Slow
There can be a lot of causes for this error, such as DNS issues, Proxy issues, as well. However, before that make sure your Internet Connection is working (use another device in order to check or use another browser). And you have disabled VPNs (Virtual Private Network) running on your system as well. Also, make sure that you guys have a really good high-speed internet connection.
Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
- You have to open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step via searching for ‘cmd’ and then pressing Enter.
- Now you can type the following commands in order to stop Windows Update Services and then click Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Next, just type the following command in order to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- At last, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and click on Enter after each one:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Reboot your PC in order to save changes and check if you can Fix Windows 10 Updates’ extremely slow issues.
If you guys are still not able to download the updates, then you have to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Right-click on the Windows Update service and choose Stop.
- Now just open File Explorer then navigate to the following location:
- Delete all the files and then folders under SoftwareDistribution.
- Just again right-click on Windows Update service and then choose Start.
- Now to try to download the updates which were stuck earlier as well.
Clean Boot in Windows 10
- Tap on the Windows Key + R button, and then type msconfig and click OK.
- Now under the General tab, then just make sure Selective startup is checked.
- Just uncheck Load startup items under selective startup as well.
- Switch to the Service tab and then checkmark Hide all Microsoft services.
- Now tap on Disable all button to turn off all the unnecessary services that might cause conflict.
- On the Startup tab, just tap on Open Task Manager.
- Now, in the Startup tab (Inside Task Manager) disable all the startup items that are enabled.
- Tap on OK and then Restart. Now again try to Update Windows and this time you will be able to update your Windows successfully as well.
- Again tap on the Windows key + R button and then type MSConfig and hit Enter.
- On the General tab, just choose the Normal Startup option and then click OK.
- When you are prompted to restart the computer, tap on Restart. This would definitely help you Fix Windows 10 Updates extremely slow issues as well.
When, your PC or Desktop or Laptop restarts, again try to update your window. When Windows Updates start working, make sure to turn on the Startup programs back from the System Configuration window.
Windows Update Troubleshooter
You guys can also solve the Windows 10 Updates extremely slow issue via running “Windows Update troubleshooter”. This will take a few minutes and will also automatically detect & fix your problem.
- Tap on Windows Key + I to open Settings then tap on Update & Security.
- Now from the left-hand menu, make sure to choose Troubleshoot.
- Then under the Getup and running section, click on Windows Update.
- When you click on it, tap on “Run the troubleshooter” under Windows Update.
- Just follow on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter and see if you’re able to fix the Windows Update Stuck issue.
If none of the above steps was helpful in troubleshooting the extremely slow Windows 10 Update issue. Then as a last resort, you could try to run Microsoft Fixit that seems helpful in fixing the issue.
- Go here and then scroll down when you find “Fix Windows Update errors.”
- Tap on it in order to download the Microsoft Fixit.
- When you download, double-click the file to run the Troubleshooter.
- Make sure to click Advanced and then tap on the “Run as administrator” option.
- When the Troubleshooter will have administrator privileges, and then it will again open. Then tap on advanced and choose “Apply repairs automatically.”
- Now just follow the on-screen instruction to complete the process, and it will automatically troubleshoot all the issues along with Windows Updates & fix them.
Optimize and Defragment Drives
Disk defragmentation basically re-arranges all the pieces of data that are spread across your hard drive and stores them together again. When the files are written to disk, it is broken into many pieces as there is not enough contiguous space in order to store the complete file. Thus the files become fragmented. Naturally, reading all these pieces of data from different places will basically take some time, in short, it will make your PC slow, have long boot times, random crashes, and freeze-ups, as well.
Defragmentation decreases file fragmentation, thus improving the speed with which data is read and written to disk. That ultimately increases your PC’s performance. Disk defragmentation also cleans the disk, hence increasing the overall storage capacity.
Run .BAT File to Re-register DLL files | Windows 10 Update is Slow
- Open Notepad file and then copy & paste the following code as it is:
net stop cryptsvc net stop wuauserv ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old regsvr32 comcat.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll /s proxycfg -u Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s regsvr32 cdm.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 mssip32.dll /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s regsvr32 msrating.dll /s regsvr32 mlang.dll /s regsvr32 hlink.dll /s regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s regsvr32 corpol.dll /s regsvr32 jscript.dll /s regsvr32 msxml.dll /s regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s regsvr32 inseng.dll /s regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s regsvr32 dispex.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s regsvr32 msident.dll /s regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s regsvr32 ils.dll /s regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s regsvr32 danim.dll /s regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s regsvr32 datime.dll /s regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL /s regsvr32 wups2.dll /S regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL /s regsvr32 ATL.DLL /s regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s regsvr32 WUPS.DLL /s regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL /s regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s regsvr32 wshext.dll /s regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s proxycfg –d sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;; ;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) regsvr32 mshtml.dll /s net start cryptsvc net start wuauserv
- Now tap on File and then select Save As.
- From Save as type drop-down, just choose “All Files” and navigate where you guys want to save the file.
- Name the file as fix_update.bat (.bat extension is very important) and then tap on Save.
- Right-click on the fix_update.bat file and then choose Run as Administrator.
- This will basically restore and register your DLL files fixing the Windows 10 Updates really slow issue.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!