Catalina is the name that Apple has chosen for version 10.15 of macOS, its operating system for desktops and laptops. Like every year, Apple announced this new version of macOS during the inaugural speech of the WWDC, in this case of the edition of the year 2019 held in the city of San Jose (California, USA).
During the presentation of the operating system, Apple’s executives announced some of their most noteworthy news, the list of compatible Mac and also spoke in a general way about the date on which it will be available to all users.
Would you like to know all this information? Keep reading so that nothing happens to you.
Main novelties of macOS Catalina
macOS 10.15 will focus especially on optimizing and improving operating system performance over previous versions. In addition, Apple has also announced a series of developments, the most notable:
- Goodbye to iTunes. The company has listened to the users and in this version of the OS, there will be no iTunes. In its place, there will be three different applications: Apple Music, Podcast and Apple TV. Finder assumes the functions of synchronization and backup of iOS devices. Will these alternatives like iTunes to users?
- Airtime. The function with which the iPhone and iPad count for some time now reach macOS. Thanks to it you can know exactly what you spend the time when you are in front of the Mac.
- Find My Mac. The evolution of Find my Mac that can now locate a Mac without having to be connected to the Internet. It will do so thanks to other brand devices that are around it.
- Sidecar. This function will allow you to use an iPad as the second screen of the Mac wirelessly or with cable. Something that was already possible with third-party apps, but now can be achieved natively.
- Project Catalyst. Perhaps the most interesting and future-projected function they have announced during the keynote. Thanks to Catalyst, developers can easily port their iPad apps to macOS and save weeks or months of development. This could not only benefit the Mac, but also the iPad as more developers would launch to create specific applications for tablets and would not be limited to adapting iPhone versions.
The software will hide many other new features and new features, but without a doubt, the most remarkable are those on this list; at least for the moment, since Apple usually hides something to launch during the beta testing phase.
These are macOS compatible with macOS Catalina
These are all Mac compatible with the new version of the operating system :
- MacBook 2015 or later.
- MacBook Air of 2012 or later.
- MacBook Pro 2012 or later.
- Mac mini 2012 or later.
- iMac of 2012 or later.
- iMac Pro 2017 or later.
- Mac Pro 2013 or later.
The equipment prior to these cannot be updated to Catalina, although of course they can still be used with Mojave and for a time there will be no problem of compatibility with applications (except perhaps those that appear as a result of Project Catalyst).
When Catalina will be available
As usual at Apple, they have not given an exact date. The firm has limited itself to ensuring that it will be available to all users sometime in the fall of 2019.
Considering what we are used to, the most likely outcome is that the final version of macOS 10.15 will be released sometime between the end of September and the beginning of October 2019.
It will be a completely free update for all owners of a Mac book.