If you guys have a genuine copy of Windows, then you guys may be well aware of how important are the updates provided via Microsoft for your Operating System. Along with the help of these updates, your system is now made more secure via patching a lot of security vulnerabilities. However, what happens whenever you guys are stuck downloading Windows Update? Well, this is the case here, where Windows Update is stuck at 0%, and also no matter how much you wait as well as what you do, it will still remain stuck. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix Windows Update Stuck at 0. Let’s begin!
Windows update is an important feature that actually makes sure Windows receives critical security updates. In order to protect your PC from security breaches such as recent WannaCrypt, Ransomware as well. However, if you guys are not able to download the latest updates, then this might also be a problem that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. So without now wasting any time let’s now see How can you Fix Windows Update Stuck at 0 along with the help of the below troubleshooting guide.
- 1 How to Fix Windows Update Stuck at 0
- 1.1 Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
- 1.2 Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
- 1.3 Disable all Non-Microsoft services (Clean boot) | Update Stuck at 0
- 1.4 Temporarily Disable Antivirus Software and Windows Firewall
- 1.5 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 1.6 Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder | Update Stuck at 0
- 1.7 Conclusion
How to Fix Windows Update Stuck at 0
If you guys have already tried waiting for a few hours then without even hesitating to follow the below methods. Your Windows updates are definitely stuck as well.
Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
- You have to open Command Prompt. The user can also perform this step via searching for ‘cmd’ and then clicking on Enter.
- Now just type the following commands to stop Windows Update Services and then click on Enter after each one:
1. net stop wuauserv
2. net stop cryptSvc
3. net stop bits
4. net stop msiserver
- Next, you guys have to type the following command in order to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then just click on Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- At last, type the following command in order to start Windows Update Services and click on Enter after each one:
1. net start wuauserv
2. net start cryptSvc
3. net start bits
4. net start msiserver
- Now just reboot your PC to save changes as well.
Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
- Forst of all, just download and install CCleaner & Malwarebytes.
- Then Run Malwarebytes and just let it scan your system for harmful files. If malware is found, now it will automatically remove them.
- Now run CCleaner and choose Custom Clean.
- That is under Custom Clean, choose the Windows tab and checkmark defaults, and tap on Analyze.
- When Analyze is complete, just make sure you’re certain in order to remove the files to be deleted.
- At last, tap on the Run Cleaner button and now let CCleaner run its course.
- In order to further clean your system, choose the Registry tab, and also make sure the following are checked:
- Tap on the Scan for Issues button and just permit CCleaner to scan, and then click on the Fix Selected Issues button.
- Whenever CCleaner asks “Do you want backup changes to the registry?” then choose Yes.
- When your backup has completed, tap on the Fix All Selected Issues button.
- Now restart your PC in order to save changes.
Disable all Non-Microsoft services (Clean boot) | Update Stuck at 0
- Tap on the Windows Key + R button, and then type MSConfig and tap on OK.
- Now under the General tab, just make sure you check Selective startup.
- Then uncheck Load startup items that are under selective startup.
- Now switch to the Service tab and then checkmark Hide all Microsoft services.
- Just click Disable all button to disable all the unnecessary services that might actually cause conflict.
- Then on the Startup tab, tap on Open Task Manager.
- Now, in the Startup tab (that is Inside Task Manager) disable all the startup items which are enabled as well.
- Tap on OK and then Restart. Now again just try to Update Windows and this time you will be able to update your Windows successfully.
- Now again, tap on the Windows key + R button and type MSConfig, and click on Enter.
- So, on the General tab, choose the Normal Startup option and then tap on OK.
- Whenever it prompt you guys are to restart the computer, click Restart. This would definitely help you to Fix Windows Update Stuck at 0%.
Temporarily Disable Antivirus Software and Windows Firewall
Many times the Antivirus program can actually cause an error and to verify this is not the case here. You guys have to disable your antivirus for a limited time so that you guys can actually check if the error still appears. Whenever the antivirus is off.
- You have to right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and choose Disable.
- Next, just select the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled.
Note: Choose the smallest amount of time possible, Such as 15 minutes as well as 30 minutes.
- When done, again try to connect in order to open Google Chrome and then check if the error resolves or not.
- Just search for the control panel from the Start Menu search bar and then tap on it in order to open the Control Panel.
- Next, click on System and Security and then tap on Windows Firewall.
- Now from the left window pane, then just tap on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Choose Turn off Windows Firewall and then restart your PC.
Again try to open Google Chrome and then just visit the web page, which was earlier showing the error. If the above method doesn’t really work, please follow the same steps in order to turn on your Firewall again.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- You have to search for the control panel from the Start Menu search bar and tap on it in order to open the Control Panel.
- Then type troubleshooting in the search bar then tap on Troubleshooting.
- Next, from the left window, the pane choose View all.
- Then from the Troubleshoot PC problems list, choose Windows Update.
- You have to follow on-screen instructions and then let the Windows Update Troubleshoot run.
- Now restart your PC and again try to install Updates that were stuck.
Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder | Update Stuck at 0
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type services.msc and click on Enter.
- Right-tap on Windows Update service and choose Stop.
- You have to open File Explorer then navigate to the following location:
- Now just delete all the files and folders that are under SoftwareDistribution.
- Again right-tap on Windows Update service and then choose Start.
- Now you need to try to download the updates which were stuck earlier.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!