Whenever you come across your photos folder, you guys may see some pictures along with the file extension ‘AAE’. These files are really important, edits made to your images using the Photos app, on iOS devices. Just simply put, with the use of.AAE files, one can also refer to the collection of edits made on an iPhone. Whenever you try to open these.AAE images prompt an error message stating that it is not a valid image file actually. This might actually confuse and annoy a lot of users since they are unaware of how you can open images with.AAE file extension. If you guys are also dealing with the same problem, then this article will definitely help you. So, in this article, we are going to talk about What is .AAE File Extension and How to open it? Let’s begin!
What is .AAE File Extension and How to open it?
In iPhone, a picture is basically saved as IMG_12985.AAE, whereas in Windows system, there are no such file extensions as well. So the file name is basically displayed as IMG_12985, along with a blank icon.
What is .AAE File Extension?
In previous versions of iOS, whenever you edit a photo, the original image was then overwritten automatically.
iOS 8 (and later versions) and also macOS 10.10 (and later versions) offer .AAE files via means of Photos app actually. The original version of an image is not really altered whenever edits are made in Photos. These edits are saved as separate files along with .AAE extensions. This basically implies that the files that you edit, are also save separately. As well as the original file remains the same way in its original directory.
Now, whenever you guys open an edited photo (.JPG file), the Photos app will then refer to its associated .AAE file and will show the edited version on the screen. All the .AAE files are actually saved in XML format, and you guys need to use a text editor, such as Notepad in order to open it.
Note: The .AAE files are also available from iOS 8 and macOS 10.10 & above that.
Is it Really Safe to Delete .AAE Files?
Most of the users are not really aware of the .AAE files and many times it really confuse about whether to keep them or delete them as well. Whenever you guys transfer an edited image to Windows 10 or an older version of macOS, then the.AAE files will also be transferred along with the original image.
- As explained above, it is also possible to delete.AAE files from the system without even deleting the original version of it.
- Whenever you delete a .AAE file, the edits made to that picture also vanish automatically too.
- Always make sure that there is a connection then retain between the original file as well as the file that you edit.
- If the original file renames as well as moves to another location, we will then actually lose the connection. Then, there is no use in keeping the edited file saved in the system.
- Thus, whenever you guys modify the original name of a file, just do the same modification to the edited file.
How to Open .AAE Files in Windows
Suppose you guys try to open a .AAE file in a text editor, such as Notepad as well as Apple TextEdit, only the XML data will then display as well. Whenever you guys face trouble opening .AAE files in Windows, the below-mentioned points will also help you in order to tackle this. You can also view the file extensions on a Windows PC via performing the below steps:
- You have to Upload your files (images) to Dropbox.
- Then just collect all uploaded photos along with original sizes via logging into your Dropbox account.
- Now Send a mail to yourself along with all these photos as attachments (or) post the edited pictures on Instagram as well as Facebook.
Note: After sending a mail or also posting the images on Facebook/Instagram. The original file size of photos will then diminish automatically as well.
- Just Launch a photo editor application and import the photos. We recommend you guys use a suitable photo editor app.
- Now, save the pictures, without even making any alterations.
Tip: Make sure the program you have selected does not insert any watermarks or comments to the picture or crop as well as compress the original quality of the image too.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Also See: How to Do Facebook Advanced Search