Steam is a popular social gaming website where you can buy, play, and also discuss games. But, have you ever received Steam disk write error when installing or updating games? Were you guys ever able to find an effective solution? If you had a difficult time, then this post should be helpful to you. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix Steam Disk Write Error – Tutorial. Let’s begin!
If you get a disk write error while waiting for your game to install or update on Steam, you are not alone – many users have had this headache too. Luckily they have successfully tackled the problem with the following fixes, so read on and check them out also.
The Steam disk writes error can occur when you are downloading or updating a game that you bought on the Steam platform. These messages typically appear whenever you attempt to install or download a new game or attempt to update a game that you previously installed as well. It can also appear when you attempt to open a game that needs an update.
Cause of Steam Disk Write Errors
The Steam disk writes error appears anytime Steam is actually unable to download and save game data to the storage drive on your computer during an update or new installation. It’s mostly accompanied by one of the following error messages:
The disk write error can actually happen when:
- The drive or also the Steam folder is write-protected.
- There are some defects in the hard drive.
- Your antivirus or firewall blocks Steam from downloading and also saving data.
- There are corrupt or outdated files in the Steam directory as well.
How can you Fix the Steam Disk Write Error
Update your drivers
This problem may occur if you are using the wrong or also outdated device drivers. So you should update your drivers in order to see if it fixes your problem or not. If you do not have the time, patience, or skills to update the driver manually, then you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and then find the correct drivers for it. You do not need to know exactly that what system your computer is running, you actually don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading. And also you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can also update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy as well. However, with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee):
- Download and then install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and tap the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and then detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this needs the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you tap Update All).
- Restart your computer for the update to take effect as well.
- Re-download or re-update your game and see if the disk write error has been removed. If the error persists, then move on to Fix 2, below.
Delete the 0 KB file | steam disk write error
This Steam disk write error may happen due to the 0KB file. So you can check if it exists on your computer and deletes it if it does.
Let’s see how:
- On your keyboard, click the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then copy & paste %ProgramFiles(x86)% and click Enter.
- Navigate and then double tap on Steam > steamapps > common.
- Scroll to the bottom and if you see a file that is 0KB in size, then you need to delete the file.
Now repeat the downloading or updating process and then see if the disk write error has disappeared.
Delete corrupted files in the log | steam disk write error
Some of the corrupt files in the Steam log may also be responsible for this disk write error. So we can check if there’s one and then delete it.
To do this:
- On your keyboard, tap the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then copy & paste %ProgramFiles(x86)% into the box and tap OK.
- Navigate and double-tap on Steam > logs > content_log.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the file, and then see if there’s a failed to write error:
- If yes, then follow the name and path of the error, and remove the corrupted file. Then proceed with 4).
- If no, then close the Windows in this fix and move on to the next fix.
- Repeat the download or update and then see if the problem gets solved.
Run flushconfig | steam disk write error
By running flushconfig, we can clear download cache and hopefully solve our problem as well. To do this:
- First, exit Steam completely.
- On your keyboard, tap the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then copy and paste steam://flushconfig into the box and then tap OK.
- Tap OK in order to confirm the flush.
- Now restart your computer.
- On your keyboard, tap the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then copy & paste %ProgramFiles(x86)% into the box and then tap OK.
- Double-tap on the Steam folder.
- Locate and double-click on Steam(or Steam.exe) to open Steam.
- Download or also update your game again and see if the disk write error has been sorted out.
Set steam folder security to full control | steam disk write error
Most of the time disk write error happens because you do not have permission to run Steam. So in order for your user account to have full control, follow this:
- First, exit Steam completely.
- On your keyboard, tap the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then copy & paste %ProgramFiles(x86)% into the box and then press OK.
- Right-click on Steam and then click Properties.
- Uncheck the box before Read-only (Only applies to files in folder).
- Tap the Security tab and then press Edit….
- Under Group or user names: tap your user account (ENYA – PC in my example), then check the box Allow for Full Control.
- Tap Apply > OK.
- On your keyboard, click the Windows logo key and type steam. Then right-click on Steam and press Run as administrator.
- Hopefully, the disk write error has been resolved now.
Remove disk write protection | steam disk write error
Another possible reason why we receive this disk write error is actually our disk is write-protected. In order to remove disk write protection:
- On your keyboard, tap the Windows logo key and type cmd. Then right-tap on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each (# is the number of the hard drives where you get this error).
- Then close the Command Prompt window.
- Re-plug the hard drive as well. Try the install or update again and see if the disk write error has disappeared or not.
Disable your antivirus program | steam disk write error
Your antivirus program can also be the culprit of this disk write error as well. You might want to need to temporarily disable it to test if the error disappears or not. Sometimes it may be necessary to add exceptions for Steam in your AV configuration (such as, excluding Steam Library folders from live monitoring services).
Check your firewall
Many firewalls may avoid Steam from talking to its servers. You might want to contact a tech support specialist to make sure that the Firewall is not interfering. Depending on the result, you might need to add exceptions to your firewalls for Steam as well.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this steam disk write error article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Also See: How to Fix Steam too many Login Failures