Sometimes it happens that you turn off any feature of Antivirus for a while, but you are unable to turn it back again. In most cases, rebooting the PC is actually the only solution. Now, you can turn it on manually and it definitely works. But in the case of Avast antivirus, users face the problem of disabled Behavior Shield whenever they restart or turn on the system actually. And, ask questions such as, “Why my Avast behavior shield keeps turning off whenever I reboot?”. In this article, we are going to talk about Avast Behavior Shield is Now Off – How to Fix. Let’s begin!
What Is Avast Behavior Shield?
Avast is one of the most famous antivirus software. We can also use it on Windows OS, macOS, Android, or also IOS. It gives computer security, browser security, antivirus software, firewall, also anti-phishing, antispyware, and many other security services.
The behavior Shield is actually an additional layer of active protection in Avast Antivirus. That can monitor all processes on your PC in real-time for suspicious behavior that may actually indicate the presence of malicious code. The working principle of the Avast Behavior Shield is basically to detect and block suspicious files based on their similarity to other threats. Also, even if those files are not adding to the virus definitions database.
The Avast Behavior Shield is on via default as it can give protection for your computer and we also strongly recommend you to do that. But, some users complain that the Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off when they launch the software or also after restarting the computer. And they mentioned that they did not change the default settings of Avast manually as well.
Hence, why does Avast Behavior Shield keep turning off? The problem that Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off may also be caused via various reasons. Such as, there exists a bug in the Avast Behavior Shield. What drawbacks will actually bring if the Avast Behavior Shield turns off? As a matter of fact, if it is turned off, then your computer will be at high risk.
Thus, what you need to do is to fix the problem that Avast Shield keeps turning off. Thus, in the following section, we will now show you the solutions.
What are the Main Settings of Avast Behavior Shield?
The Avast Behavior shield constantly monitors your system for file threats and malware as well. So, what do you do whenever the Shield detects a threat? You can select from and decide how to deal along with a new threat that Avast Behavior Shield has recently detected. Here are the three available options:
1. Always Ask: If you choose this option, the Behavior shield will ask you what you want to do along with the threat found. Now, you can
- Move it to the Virus Chest or,
- Delete the file or,
- Ignore the threat as well.
2. Automatically move detected threats to Chest: If this option is enabled, then the Behavior Shield will automatically move all threats detected in your system to the Virus Chest. Hence your PC will now save from all the infections.
3. Automatically move known threats to Chest: Whenever you use Avast Antivirus, this option is enabled via default. The Behavior Shield will move threats that the virus definition database detects like dangerous to the Virus Chest.
In order to change the settings of Avast Behavior Shield,
- Open the Avast Antivirus.
- Now navigate to Settings > Components > Behavior Shield.
- Then choose any of the options detailed above, as per your requirement and convenience.
Avast Behavior Shield is Now Off – How to Fix
The most common reasons why the users face this issue are:
- Outdated Avast Antivirus software
- Corrupt or Missing program files
Whatever the reason, it is highly recommended that you guys fix this issue in order to keep the Behavior Shield Enabled on your PC. If Avast Behavior Shield is now off, your PC is more vulnerable to malware and viruses that can infect your system as well.
Update to the Latest Version
The first solution in order to solve the issue that Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off via itself is to update this software to the latest version as well. Some users also have reported that the Avast Behavior Shield has stopped working after they restart or turn on their systems as well. Especially those users who are now using Avast 2018.
And, Avast developers also have noticed that the error where the Behavior Shield is turned off via itself and they have tried to fix this problem in the latest version. So, in order to solve the problem that Avast Behavior Shield turns off, you guys can try to update your Avast to the latest version.
And now, we will show you the detailed operation steps in order to do that.
- Tap on the Avast icon in the system tray or the shortcut of Avast on the desktop in order to enter its main interface.
- After entering its main interface, you have to tap on Menu on the right corner to continue.
- Select Settings to continue.
- In the pop-up window, head to the Update then select the CHECK FOR UPDATES to continue.
After you have updated to the latest versions, then just run Avast again to check whether the Shield still keeps turned off by itself.
If this solution is not effective enough, then you can try the following solutions.
Repair Avast Antivirus
If the above method did not fix the issue, then you could use the in-built Troubleshooting features in Avast in order to repair the program. You can also do this in two ways, as explained below:
Option 1: Directly from Avast Interface
- Open Avast Antivirus and then navigate to Menu > Settings as before.
- Then, head to the Troubleshooting tab.
- There, tap on Repair App in the right pane. The repair process will then begin and might take a while to finish
Note: Do not close any window as well as tab during the ongoing process.
- When the repair is complete, then reboot your PC. Check if the Avast Behavior shield is now off or on.
Option 2: Through Add or Remove Programs
- You have to type Add or remove programs in the Windows search box. Open it from the search result
- In the Search this list bar, just type Avast.
- Tap on Avast and then, Modify.
- Then just tap on Repair in the Avast pop-up window.
Now wait for it to be repaired. Restart your computer and then confirm that the issue is resolved.
Run Avast Clear Tool and Reinstall Avast
If the above methods cannot really solve the problem that Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off. Then you have to try this solution actually. You can perform a clean installation of the latest versions as well. In order to do that, you have to delete all traces of the Avast on your computer. Hence, you need the help of the Avast Clear tool that can help you in order to remove all traces of Avast on your computer and then reinstall the Avast.
Now, we will show you the detailed operations on how you can perform the clean installation. In order to solve the problem, Avast Behavior Shield turned off actually.
- Download the Avast Clear tool that can remove traces of Avast on your computer.
- Just install it.
- In the pop-up window, you have to confirm the program installation directory. If they are not correct, then just change it first. Then tap on Uninstall to continue.
- After uninstalling the Avast completely, you guys can try to download it from the Internet and then reinstall it again.
- After reinstalling, open it in order to check whether the problem that Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off via itself is solved.
Clean Install Avast Antivirus
The final solution in order to fix Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off is just to uninstall Avast and all its files from your PC and then install the latest version as well. This process is also known as Clean Installation. Follow the steps below in order to perform a clean installation of Avast Antivirus:
- First of all, you need to download the Avast Uninstall Utility.
- When you download the file, then open the file in order to run the software.
- In the pop-up Avast Uninstall Utility window, you have to tap on Yes to boot Windows in Safe Mode. Click on Yes again in order to confirm.
- Windows will now boot in Safe Mode, and also the Uninstall Utility will open automatically.
- In the Utility window, just make sure that you select the correct folder where Avast Antivirus has been installed presently.
- Tap on Uninstall in order to remove Avast Antivirus and associated files altogether. Tap on Yes to confirm the uninstallation.
Note: The process will then take a while to complete. Do not close any window during the uninstallation process as well.
- When the process is complete, then just tap on Restart in the pop-up window.
- When your PC is restarted, then just click on this link. Then, tap on Free Download in order to download the latest version of Avast Antivirus.
- Now just open the downloaded file in order to run the installer. Follow the instructions shown on the screen in order to complete the installation.
- Open Avast and check if Avast Behavior Shield has stopped working issue is fixed.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!