A few of you, when going through the task manager in order to find that pesky little process hogging up your resources. You guys might have noticed a process listed as Bonjour Service actually. Although, even fewer know what the service actually is and what role it plays in their day-to-day PC activities basically. In this article, we are going to talk about Do We Need Bonjour Service on Windows 10 – What is it. Let’s begin!
First up, the Bonjour Service is not a virus actually. It is an Apple-developed software and has been a part of their operating systems, iOS and also macOS, since 2002. The application is deeply integrated within the Apple ecosystem and it also helps in making the overall experience more seamless. On the other hand, the software actually finds its way onto a Windows computer whenever the user installs an Apple-associated software. Such as iTunes or Safari web browser as well.
In this article, we will be discussing in-depth the Bonjour Service and if you need it or if it can be purged from your Windows computer as well. If you decide on the latter, then we have a step-by-step guide on how you can disable the Bonjour service or get rid of it completely.
What is Bonjour Service on Windows 10?
Originally called Apple Rendezvous, Bonjour service basically helps discover and connect shared devices & services across a local network actually. Unlike regular applications, Bonjour also works in the background however, other Apple applications and programs use it in order to communicate over a local data network automatically. Hence, permitting the user in order to set up a network without any configuration. That we also known as, zero-configuration networking (zeroconf).
This is made possible via the use of modern technologies such as hostname resolution, address assignment, and also service discovery. While the use of a multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) makes sure that the Bonjour Service doesn’t inversely affect your internet speed via caching support information.
Nowadays, the service is most commonly for file-sharing and in order to discover printers. Some of Bonjour’s applications basically include:
- Find shared music and pictures in iTunes and iPhoto respectively.
- In order to find local servers and configuration pages for devices in Safari.
- For managing licenses in software such as SolidWorks and PhotoView 360.
- In SubEthaEdit in order to find collaborators for a certain document.
- In order to communicate with multiple clients in applications like iChat, Adobe Systems Creative Suite 3, etc.
On Windows computers, the Bonjour service doesn’t really have any direct function and can also remove.
Although, if you guys use Apple software (iTunes or Safari) on your Windows PC, Bonjour is an important service, and removing it may cause these applications to stop working as well. Not just Apple software, some third-party applications such as Adobe Creative Suite and Dassault Systemes’ Solidworks also need the Bonjour service in order to function properly. So before you guys move ahead and decide to remove Bonjour, make sure that it isn’t required via any application on your computer.
Do You Need the Bonjour Service on Windows 10?
The Bonjour service (mdnsresponder.exe on Windows) is integrated along with some Apple software for Windows. If you guys want to make it easy in order to connect to services and attached devices that are linked to Apple products. And then you may need Bonjour installed and enabled on Windows 10 for this in order to work.
The Bonjour service isn’t important, however. If you guys don’t have Apple products on your network, then you probably don’t need them. Disabling it may avoid some Apple software or features from working, however, it won’t have any other impact on your PC. It isn’t a system service of importance, such as ntoskrnl.exe, so you’re free in order to switch it off.
You can also remove it entirely as well. Removing the Bonjour service may also cause some Apple software to stop working, however, only for older software. Bonjour is no longer included along with the latest available version of iTunes, while other Apple software that needs it. Such as Safari, is no longer supported on Windows actually.
Disabling Bonjour service?
Now, there are two ways that you can go about deleting the Bonjour service. One, you can temporarily turn off the service, or second, uninstall it altogether. Uninstalling the service will be a permanent move and if you guys later realize that you actually needed it. Then you will have to reinstall Bonjour, whereas in the other case, you can just simply enable it back again.
In order to disable any service on your computer, you will have to open the Windows Services application. There, simply change the startup type to Disabled for the undesired service as well.
- In order to open Services, launch the Run command box via pressing the Windows key + R, type services.msc in the text box, and then tap on OK.
You can also access Services via directly searching for them in the Windows start search bar (Windows key + S).
- In the Services window, just locate the Bonjour service and right-click on it in order to open the options/context menu. From the context menu, just tap on Properties. Just like that, double-click on a service to access its properties.
- To make finding the Bonjour service easier, you have to tap on Name at the top of the window to sort all the services alphabetically.
- First, we terminate the Bonjour service via clicking on the Stop button under the Service status label. The service status after the action should state Stopped as well.
- Now under the general properties tab, expand the drop-down menu next to the Startup type through clicking on it. From the list of startup types, just select Disabled.
- Tap on the Apply button at the bottom-right of the window in order to save the changes and disable the service. Next, tap on OK in order to exit.
Interacting with Apple Devices on Windows 10
With the Bonjour service on Windows 10, you guys shouldn’t need to worry about trying to access music, photos, and many other files. That is saved on Apple devices. Bonjour should help in order to give you easier access to Apple services on your local network. However, with better networking features in Windows 10, you guys may find it isn’t in need.
Bonjour isn’t the only thing that you’ll need in place in order to communicate between Windows and Mac devices. If you can’t see other computers on a network that contains more than one type of operating system as well. Then you may have to troubleshoot the problem further via checking that your firewall on both devices isn’t blocking the connection actually.
Well, uninstalling Bonjour is as easy as removing any other application from your personal computer. All you have to do is head over to the Program & Features window of the Control Panel and uninstall Bonjour from there actually. Nevertheless, below is the step-by-step guide in order to remove Bonjour.
- Open the Run command box, then type control or control panel, and tap on the enter key in order to launch the Control Panel application.
- In the Control Panel window, you have to tap on Programs & Features. To make looking for Programs & Features easier, you have to change the icon size to small or large.
- Now locate Bonjour and then tap on it to select.
- At last, click on the Uninstall button at the top in order to uninstall the Bonjour application.
- Just like that, you can also right-click on Bonjour and then choose Uninstall.
Now in the following confirmation pop-up box, click on Yes, and then follow the on-screen instruction to complete the uninstallation process.
Because Bonjour is integrated into multiple Apple applications some parts of it may persist on your computer even after uninstalling the application itself actually. To completely get rid of Bonjour, you guys will have to delete the .exe and .dll files related to the service.
- Start via launching the Windows File Explorer using the keyboard shortcut Windows key + E as well.
- Now navigate yourself to the following location.
(In some systems, such as the ones running Windows Vista or Windows 7 x64. You can find the Bonjour service folder inside the Program Files(x86) folder actually.)
- You have to Locate the “mDNSResponder.exe” file in the Bonjour application folder and right-click on it. From the ensuing options menu, just choose Delete.
- Now look for the “mdnsNSP.dll” file and delete it as well.
If a pop-up message saying, ‘This action can’t be completed because the file is open in Bonjour service’ appears, just simply restart your computer and then try to delete the files again.
One can also remove the Bonjour Service files via an elevated command prompt window. If the pop-up message continues in order to prevail even after a computer restart.
- A regular elevated command prompt window won’t be able to completely remove Bonjour from your personal PC actually. Rather, you will have to launch the command prompt as an administrator.
- Irrespective of the mode of access, a User Account Control basically pop-up requesting permission in order to allow the Command Prompt to make changes to your device will appear. Simply tap on Yes to give the necessary permission.
- Next, we will have to navigate to the Bonjour folder destination in the command prompt. Open your File Explorer (Windows key + E), then find the Bonjour application folder, and note down the address.
- In the command prompt, you have to type the address (\Program Files\Bonjour) and press enter.
- Then type mDNSResponder.exe –remove and click on enter to run the command.
- When you remove that, you should see the confirmation message Removed Service.
- Just like that, you can skip the individual steps 2 & 3 and directly type the below command
- At last, unregister the mdnsNSP.dll file using the following command:
regsvr32 /u “%PROGRAMFILES%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll”
Now, just restart your computer and then delete the Bonjour folder.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!