Well, the main cause of the Boot error 0xc0000098 is actually corrupted Boot Configuration Data (BCD). This actually means that Windows was not able to load the operating system as the BCD file doesn’t really contain any entry of it. The Boot Error 0xc0000098 is actually a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error. That means your PC will abruptly restart and you won’t be able to Boot your PC, thus you guys are stuck. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows. Let’s begin!
This is basically a fatal error as you won’t be able to access your PC and all the files on it, however, don’t worry we have listed different methods in order to fix this issue as well. We will also try to rebuild your BCD that will resolve this error and you guys will be to access your PC normally.
How to Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows
So without even wasting any further time let’s see How you can Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows 10 along with the help of the below guide:
Repair your Boot sector or Rebuild BCD
- With the above method open command prompt via Windows installation disk.
- Now you need to type the following commands one by one and click on enter after each one:
a) bootrec.exe /FixMbr b) bootrec.exe /FixBoot c) bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
- If the above command fails and then just enter the following commands in cmd:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup c: cd boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd
- At last, exit the cmd and restart your Windows.
Run CHKDSK and SFC
- Now again head to the command prompt using the method 1, just click on the command prompt in the Advanced options screen.
- Type the following command in cmd and click on enter after each one:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows chkdsk c: /r
Note: You have to make sure you use the drive letter where Windows is currently installed
- Now just exit the command prompt and then restart your PC.
Run Automatic or Startup Repair | 0xc0000098
- You need to insert the Windows 10 bootable installation DVD and then restart your PC.
- Whenever prompted to tap on any key in order to boot from CD or DVD, tap on any key to continue.
- Choose your language preferences, and tap on Next. Tap on Repair your PC in the bottom-left.
- On select, an options screen, just tap on Troubleshoot.
- Then on Troubleshoot screen, just tap on the Advanced option.
- Then on the Advanced options screen, you need to tap on Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- Just wait till the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs are complete.
- You have to restart and you have successfully Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows 10, if not, then continue.
Repair Windows Image
- You have to open Command Prompt and enter the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Click on enter to run the above command and wait for the process to complete, mostly, it takes 15-20 minutes.
NOTE: If the above command doesn't really work then try on the below: Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
- Then after the process is completed restart your PC and now see if this method was able to Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows 10.
Repair install Windows | 0xc0000098
If none of the above solutions work for you then you guys can make sure that your HDD is fine. However, you may be seeing the error “Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows 10” since the operating system. As well as the BCD information on the HDD was somehow erased. Well, in this case, you guys can try to Repair install Windows. However, if this also fails then the only solution left is just for you need to install a new copy of Windows (Clean Install).
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Leave a Reply