Got the latest Roku you’re itching to put to use? Or Want to jailbreak Roku and install Kodi? The portable and affordable streaming device is the best solution for getting Netflix on your Television. The best thing makes Roku stronger is if it could run Kodi. However, the Kodi is free, highly extensible open-source media center software.
Can you jailbreak Roku and Install Kodi? The best answer is no, not exactly. Rather than jailbreaking your Roku, you can use another method to get Kodi on your TV. We’ll discuss (jailbreak Roku & install Kodi) all the details below. Before you start, though, remember you take the best steps to protect your device so you can use Kodi with full privacy.
Before Using Kodi on Roku, Get a Good VPN
The Kodi software is free and also legal to use on a huge variety of devices. But some third-party add-ons aren’t safe. So it seems that Kodi got a bad reputation as of late. It caused companies and ISPs to take precautionary measures against Kodi users, tracking, or also blocking their connections automatically.
VPNs can also protect you from these security threats. They also work by encrypting all of your traffic so it’s impossible or difficult to read. Government agencies, hackers, and ISP can’t determine what you’re doing on the internet or which sites you’re watching on Kodi and Roku. The bottom line is quite simple: if you like to stay safe, you have to use a VPN with Kodi.
IPVanish – Best VPN for Kodi
IPVanish contains amazing features to use with Kodi. However, the VPN is very fast and supports HD and 4K streams. Also, It protects you with amazing privacy features. Not just this but it doesn’t block P2P or torrent traffic, enabling you to access all of Kodi’s add-ons and content without restriction. IPVanish also sends 256-bit AES encryption on all data and runs a big network of over 1,000 servers in 60 different countries.
Come and check it out that IPVanish is as fast and secure as it claims.
Can You Jailbreak a Roku to Install Kodi?
Well, Jailbreaking refers to hijack (hack) a device to enable it to run lots of variety of software. Not enable to install or download your favorite app on iOS? Simply jailbreak it and do it anyway. However, Android and Fire TV devices usually refer to this as root, but the key principle is the same.
The Roku also runs its own OS called Roku OS. However, the OS isn’t compatible with standard Android or iOS jailbreaking procedures. But the good news is Roku doesn’t actually need any kind of jailbreaking to get its full functionality. You can also add channels with ease, simple including custom homebrew ones, no hacking needed.
Instead of Jailbreaking, Mirror Kodi to Your Roku
Below we’ll discuss the best method of getting Kodi on your Roku device. As we know jailbreaking isn’t possible, also Kodi can’t support Roku OS. We’ll just use a secondary device and mirror Kodi straight to Roku, simple, nice and easy. Come let’s jailbreak Roku & install Kodi.
Step 1 – Enable Roku Screen Mirroring
Before you mirror anything to your Roku, you’ll require to enable screen mirroring. This is safe and secure to do and only it takes a few seconds.
- Move to your Roku and hit the home button to access the main menu.
- Also, move to Settings > System
- Select Screen Mirroring from the menu.
- Next to Screen mirroring mode, choose either Prompt or Always Allow.
- That’s it! Return back to your Roku home screen.
Step 2 – Install Kodi on a Second Device (Android)
Now your Roku is ready to go, you’ll just need to get Kodi ready on a secondary device. Which hardware you use doesn’t matter, just as long as it’s capable of casting to your home network. We suggesting using Kodi with Android for the good results, so that’s what we’ll discuss below. You can also install Kodi on Fire Stick if you want to, as you can’t be able to mirror it to Roku in this instance.
- On your Android device or tablet, just open up the Google Play store.
- Click the search bar and input “Kodi”.
- The Kodi media center app should display up as the first search result.
- Also, click the Kodi icon, then choose the green Install button.
- Now accept the permissions requests if prompted. Kodi is perfectly safe to use.
- Then launch Kodi on your Mobile device to remember it works.
Step 3 – Set Up Screen Mirroring
Any device you use using Kodi will now require screen mirroring to be set up. However, the steps below will allow you to instantly turn the features on so you can begin watching some movies!
- On your Mobile device, click the menu button and look for the settings screen.
- Now move down to Device, then select Display.
- Look for the screen mirroring option on the screen. If you don’t view it, simply check the paragraph below for useful tips.
- Also, open the screen mirroring options.
- While having your Roku correctly set up, you should view it on the screen mirroring screen.
- Click your Roku device on the list, then casting will start.
If things confuse you, many Mobile makers provide a screen mirroring a different name. You may also view it listed as Smart View, AllShare Cast, SmartShare, Wireless Display, Display Mirroring, Screen Casting, or just Cast.
Step 4 – Start Screen Mirroring
However, your Roku is now set up and your secondary device is ready to cast. So, you just finally begin watching Kodi. It’s the fun, simple and easy part, and if you followed the steps above, you simply pull it off without a hitch.
- Enable your TV and remind your Roku is plugged in and active.
- Open Kodi on your Mobile device or other non-Roku devices.
- Select a movie or TV show to stream.
- Now, launch the player and initiate the video.
- After a moment, the content should be shown to your TV.
If anything went wrong, then it must be your Wi-Fi network. Both devices you’re casting from and the Roku want to be using the same wireless connection just to screen mirroring to work. Remember both Roku and Kodi use the same Wi-Fi signal and you’ll be good to go.
Alternatives to Streaming from Android
In our article, we’ve covered how to mirror your screen from a Mobile device to Roku on your TV. Let’s come and take a look:
Screen Mirror Kodi to Roku from Windows
Windows is the most common computer OS. However, it also happens to have just the right tools required to screen mirror Kodi to your Roku. Simply follow the article to get everything set up.
First, we’ll need to download or install Kodi on your Windows machine. Make sure if you already have it, feel free to move to the next section.
- Simply visit Kodi’s official website to get a neat and clean copy of the program.
- Tap the blue install/download button at the top of the screen.
- Move down to your operating system, represented by the icons.
- Tap the appropriate icon and the latest window will open.
- Remember the Suggested tab is selected.
- Also, tap the installer button near the center to begin downloading Kodi.
- Once Kodi is downloaded or install it to your device, then launch it to remember it works.
Next, it’s time to set up a screen mirroring for Windows. Make sure Windows is capable of doing it, but not all hardware will support casting. If the choices below can’t display on your system, you can’t cast Kodi from your Windows PC. Simply try using an Android phone.
- Just open the control center by clicking on the screen icon in the lower right corner of your device’s taskbar. You can also hit the Windows key and P (Win+P) to simply open this menu.
- Now look at the flat icons and choose the one that says Project.
- Also, select PC Screen Only from the list.
- On the next screen, select your Roku device.
- Tap to start mirroring your screen.
Now simply launch Kodi and begin streaming content. You can also do this with movies on your Windows PC, sports, stream live videos, and TV shows from one of Kodi’s lots of great add-ons. It’s up to you!
Use a Mac to Screen Mirror Kodi to Roku
Unfortunately, Mac PC uses the proprietary AirPlay technology to monitor mirror and cast content to and from Mac devices. It means some non-Mac hardware unable to mirror content from your Apple device, adding Roku. No updates are available, as there is a strange alternative you can position if you must have Kodi on your Roku and no other choices are at your disposal.
Plex is an amazingly essential and flexible piece of software that allows you to stream content from one device to another. The apps are available for just about every device on the planet, which include Roku and Mac. You can also install/download Kodi on your Mac. Once done add a Plex extension to Kodi and use it to stream some content to your Roku. However, it’s not as full-featured as Kodi itself, and technically you don’t want Kodi to fulfill much of the mirroring.
To begin, move to your Roku’s channel article and install the Plex app from there. This is an important first step, so remember you don’t skip it. Next, check out our tips and tricks on how to install/download and use the Plex Media Server. This will help you to stream your archived content from a Mac to another Plex-enabled device.
Now we required to install Kodi on your Mac. This is the simple, and easy part, so follow these steps in order.
- Simply visit Kodi’s official website to get a neat and clean copy of the program.
- Tap the blue download button at the top of the screen.
- Move down to your OS, represented by the icons.
- Tap the required icon and a new window will open.
- Remember the Recommended tab is selected.
- Tap the installer button near the center to begin downloading Kodi.
- Once Kodi is downloaded, install it, then launch it to remember it works.
Once all the above steps are done, now launch Plex on your Roku, launch Kodi on your Mac, access the Plex add-on inside Kodi, attach the two together on your home Wi-Fi network. Also, use them to stream Kodi content from one device to another.
It’s a cumbersome setup, but it can work well. Downloading and installing Plex through Kodi can’t offer lots of additional functionality. So if it’s saved content you like to stream and mirror, simply use Plex on its own.
While having Kodi is necessary, you can also select a Fire Stick as a replacement for your Roku and install Kodi directly to it. That will provide you access to some of the same content as a Roku, with the added advantage of quick jailbreaking and Kodi access.
Cast Kodi from iOS to Roku
Besides Mac devices, there is an instant and simple way to mirror iOS content from your iPhone or iPad to a Roku device. It includes Roku’s official app. Simply follow the steps below to get started.
- Remember your Roku screen mirroring is properly set up. See the article in the first section for instructions.
- Also, remind your Roku and TV are enable on and ready to receive content.
- Install Kodi on your iOS device.
- Install the official Roku app for iOS.
- Once you install it and launch it.
- Move down to the Play on Roku section of your Roku app.
- Also, open Kodi and select a movie to start streaming on your TV.
Here’s all about “jailbreak Roku & install Kodi”. As you can’t directly jailbreak a Roku and download Kodi software to it. There is a simple and easy workaround you can use to allow access to the same content. However, Screen mirroring is a great and powerful tool with a huge variety of applications. These devices include casting Kodi content on your TV.
Do you have a question about any of our installation instructions? Just get in touch with us in the comment section below!. Don’t forget to share your feedback with us!