If you guys share your PC along with other family members as well as with your friends. Then keeping your data secure and private is actually really important. To do this, you guys can now easily use the Windows in-built Encrypting File System (EFS) in order to encrypt your data in files and also folders securely. However, the only problem, it isn’t really available for Windows Home Edition users. And you have to upgrade to Pro, Enterprise, as well as Education editions in order to use this feature. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out. Let’s begin!
In order to encrypt any files or folders inside Windows, then you simply have to right-click on the desired file as well as folder and then choose Properties from the context menu. Now inside the Properties window, tap on the Advanced button under the General tab. Next in the Advanced Attributes window checkmark just “Encrypt contents to secure data“. Tap on OK in order to save changes, and your files or folders will be securely encrypted.
However, what is the option to Encrypt files or folders that is “Encrypt contents to secure data” is greyed out or disabled? Well, then you guys won’t be able to encrypt files or folders in Windows and all your data will then be visible to anyone who actually has access to your system. So without even wasting any further time let’s now see How you can Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out In Windows 10 with the help of the below-listed tutorial.
How to Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out
Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out In Windows 10 Using CMD
- First of all, you guys have to open Command Prompt. The user can also perform this step through searching for ‘cmd’ and then click on Enter as well.
- Now type the following command into cmd and then click on Enter:
fsutil behaviour set disableencryption 0
- You guys have to reboot your PC in order to save changes.
- Whenever the system restart, the encryption option in the Advanced Attribute window will then be available as well.
Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out via Registry
- You hav to tap on Windows Key + R and then type Regedit and click on Enter in order to open Registry Editor.
- Now navigate to the following registry location:
- Then make sure to select FileSystem then in the right window pane double-tap on NtfsDisableEncryption DWORD.
- You guys will find that the value of the NtfsDisableEncryption DWORD would now be set to 1.
- You have to Modify its value to 0 and tap on OK.
- Just close Registry Editor and reboot your PC in order to save changes.
- When the system reboot, again right-click on the file or folder you guys want to encrypt and choose Properties.
- Now under the General tab, you have to click on the Advanced button at the bottom.
- Then, in the Advanced Attributes window, you guys will also be able to checkmark “Encrypt contents to secure data“.
You guys have successfully how you can Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out In Windows 10. However, if you guys can’t use this method for some reason as well as don’t want to mess along with Registry, follow the next method.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Also See: Best Eevee Evolution in Pokémon Go