Football Manager 2021 is actually a simulation management game developed via Sports Interactive and published via Sega. In the game, the player is actually the manager of a football (soccer) team as well. The game was never released on Linux, however, it is possible to play it on Linux thanks to Steam Play and Proton. Here’s how you can do it. In this article, we are going to talk about How Do I Play Football Manager on Linux- Tutorial. Let’s begin!
How Do I Play Football Manager on Linux- Tutorial
It is also possible to play Football Manager 2021 on Linux, however, only with Steam Play’s help, a feature present in the Linux Steam client. For this reason, we must demonstrate how you can install the Steam app on your Linux system.
In order to install Steam on Linux, open up a terminal window through tapping on Ctrl + Alt + T on the keyboard or search for “terminal” in the app menu as well. From there, just follow the command-line installation instructions outlined below that corresponds along with the Linux OS you guys use.
If you guys are an Ubuntu user, the Steam app is straightforward to install. In order to get it working, enter the following Apt command.
sudo apt install steam
On Debian, Steam is also available for installation in the “non-free” software repository. But, we do not recommend you to install the software in this way. Rather, we highly recommend you to download the Steam DEB package directly from Valve through the Steam website.
In order to download the Steam DEB package, just make use of the wget download command below.
The command above will also download the Steam DEB package directly to your home folder (~). When the download is complete, the installation can begin. Through the dpkg command below, just set up Steam.
sudo dpkg -i steam.deb
During the installation of Steam on your Linux PC as well, some dependency errors may occur. These errors are fixable through entering the following apt-get install -f command.
sudo apt-get install -f
Steam is also available on Arch Linux through the “multilib” software repository. In order to install the Steam application on your Arch Linux system, make sure you have the “multilib” software repo enabled in the Pacman configuration file as well. After that, install the software via the following pacman command too.
sudo pacman -S steam
If you guys are a Fedora Linux user or an OpenSUSE Linux user, it is also possible to install Steam via an RPM package. But, the installation method for Steam on both of these operating systems isn’t great. Especially if you’re a new user too. Rather, we recommend installing the software through Flatpak.
Steam is also available as a Flatpak package in the Flathub app store. But, to install this package on your Linux PC, you must turn on the Flatpak runtime. In order to enable the Flatpak runtime, install the “flatpak” package on your computer. For more guidance, please just follow our guide on the subject.
After you set up the Flatpak runtime on your Linux PC, the next step is to turn on the Flathub app store. Flathub houses many different apps, also including the Steam application. In order to add Flathub, execute the flatpak remote-add command below as well.
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
Now that the Flathub app store is enabled on your Linux PC, then you will install the Steam application via the flatpak install command below.
flatpak install flathub com.valvesoftware.Steam
Install Football Manager 2021 on Linux
Along with the Steam application installed on your Linux PC, just open it up via searching for it in the app menu. When Steam is open on the Linux desktop, just log into your Steam account via your user name and password credentials. Then, follow the step-by-step instructions below in order to get Football Manager 2021 working.
- Find the “Steam” menu and click on it along with the mouse. Then, choose the “Settings” option to open up Steam settings. Inside the Steam settings area, just locate the “Steam Play” area, and tap on it with the mouse.
- Check the boxes “Enable Steam Play for supported titles” and “Enable Steam Play for all the other titles.” Choose the “OK” button in order to save the changes to Steam.
- Tap on the “STORE” button at the top of Steam to head to the Steam store. From there, just find the search box and tap on it with the mouse. Type in “Football Manager 2021” in the text box, and click on the Enter key to search.
- Just look through the Steam search results for “Football Manager 2021” and choose it along with the mouse to head to the game’s Store page. Then, look for the green “Add to cart” button, and then tap on it to purchase and add the game to your Steam account.
- Choose the “LIBRARY” button at the top of Steam in order to access your Steam library. From there, locate “Football Manager 2021” and click on it. Then, choose the blue “INSTALL” button along with the mouse in order to download and install the game to your PC.
- After you download and install Football Manager 2021 to your Linux PC. The blue “INSTALL” button will become a green “PLAY” button as well. Tap on this button to start up the game! Enjoy!