Well, the transition from reading physical books to reading ebooks is actually a difficult one. Apart from the complete lack of book-smell, you think if or not the device you have will make for a comfortable reading experience or not. A lot of tablets that are basically dedicated ebook readers exist however if you can’t splurge on a dedicated device. You will probably have to make do along with what you have on hand as well. If you have an iPhone or an iPad, then you can use the iBooks app in order to read an ebook in the ePub format. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Open and Read iBooks ePub on Your Device.
How to Open and Read iBooks ePub on Your Device
Windows & OS X
For Windows and Mac OS X, Calibre is the best software to open epub files. The reason we love Calibre is that it is the most powerful tool of its kind around, also supporting almost all ebook file formats as well. It has excellent library management features, and you can also use it in order to “fetch” metadata about books from the Internet as well. It also makes it easier to share books along with others and to send them to your devices as well. And of course, you can also read books. Download and install it on your device, then follow these steps in order to read books.
- First, open Calibre and then tap on the red Add books button on the top-left.
- Choose your epub file. It will then appear in the big white box in Calibre. Double-tap the file name in Calibre in order to open it and start reading as well.
However, we strongly recommend Calibre as the best option as of its powerful library management and conversion tools. If you guys just want to read the books, then you can also download the free Kobo app for PC as well. When it is installed, then you can use these following steps to read:
- First, open Kobo, and tap on “UPDATE LIBRARY”. This will then scan your computer for epub files, and also save them to your library.
- Now from the book covers, double tap on the book that you want to read. The left and right arrow buttons let you flip pages as well. If you guys close Kobo, it then remembers which page you were actually on.
iOS | iBooks ePub
The iBooks app on your iPhone or iPad can also open epub files without even any problems. However, the challenge for iOS users is getting the files on your device in the first place as well. The best way to open an epub file on iOS is through a cloud storage service like Dropbox and the iBooks app as well. You will have to upload the file to Dropbox and then download its iOS app before logging in. Now follow these simple steps.
- You have to find the epub file and click on it. You will then see an error message that says Dropbox can’t open the file.
- Now click the Share button (the box along with an arrow pointing upwards) and then click to Open in.
- You guys will see a menu pop up, along with an option to Open in iBooks. Click that in order to open the epub file.
You can also mail the files to yourself as an attachment – whenever you open the mail and click on the attachment, it will then download the file. And bring you to the Open in the menu as well.
Android | iBooks ePub
Now on Android, you guys will have to download an epub reader like Aldiko or Universal Book Reader in order to open epub files. We chose Universal Book Reader – let’s have a look at what you guys need to do:
- First, copy all of your epub files to your Android device.
- Then open Universal Book Reader. The first time you start it, you will see there some tips about the app’s features. Keep tapping next till you see a bookshelf.
- The app will then ask you if you need to import all of the ebooks. Click the Yes button and all the ebooks on your device will show up in the app automatically as well. Click the one that you need to open and then you are good to go.
BlackBerry | iBooks ePub
In order to open epub files on a BlackBerry device, you have to download Kobo from BlackBerry App World. Follow these steps in order to open epub files.
- First, open the app and then click the settings button (three vertical dots) on the top-right.
- Click Import Items and then click Start. Kobo will then automatically scan your device for ebooks and also load them in the app. Choose the one you that want to open and start reading as well.
Windows Phone | iBooks ePub
Just like in iOS, the best way to open files on Windows Phone is via a cloud storage service like SkyDrive. The aptly that is named ePub Reader does the job. You have to download it and then follow these simple steps.
- You have to save all of your epub files to SkyDrive and then open the ePub Reader app on your Windows Phone device.
- Swipe right twice in the app in order to reach the page called Source. Here click SkyDrive, sign in, and choose the epub files you need to open.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!