Facebook Messenger is actually one of the most widely used cross-platform messaging apps on the planet. Thanks to its integration along with Facebook, pretty much each and every Facebook user uses Messenger in order to connect to people. That, in turn, makes texting unbelievably easy as well. But, if you guys are someone who enjoys the quiet, turning on the Active Status may not be the worst of ideas as well. Today, we’ll also teach you how you can turn off the Active Status on Facebook Messenger and also stop appearing online to all or a chosen few users. In this article, we are going to talk about How To Stop Someone Seeing You Online On Facebook Messenger. Let’s begin!
What is Active Status on Facebook Messenger?
The Active Status on Facebook just simply means you are available on the app and are up for a quick chat. It’s denoted via an encouraging green dot on the mobile app. Whenever the Messenger Web flaunts an inconspicuous ‘Active now’ status.
Plus, it also shows when a user was last active — in the Messenger app — that comes as an encouragement to many.
What is the most important thing to remember about turning off Active Status?
As we’ve already discussed, Messenger’s Active Status is designed to tell your friends if you’re ready for a chat. And to disable that, you’d have to turn off Active Status.
But, turning off Active Status, effectively, seem to be easier said than done. As per Facebook, you’d continue to appear online as long as you don’t turn off the Active Status on all platforms actually. What that actually means is that even if you turn off Active Status on Facebook, then you’d still have the green dot on the Messenger app as well.
So, to turn off Active Status completely, you’d have to go to each and every device and platform — where you guys use Messenger — and disable it manually. Such as: if you use Messenger Web, Facebook Web, and Messenger on Android. Then you’d have to go to each app/website on every device and then turn off the Active Status.
How To Stop Someone Seeing You Online On Facebook Messenger
If you guys use Messenger on your mobile — Android or iOS — you could easily turn off the Active Status via fiddling around with the Settings. First, you need to open the Facebook Messenger application and log in with the correct credentials. Now, click on your profile picture at the top-left corner in order to access the Settings.
Then, just click on ‘Active Status.’
Turn it off via hitting the toggle next to ‘Show when you’re active.’ Finally, confirm your action through tapping ‘Turn Off.’
How can you Turn off Active Status on PC?
Facebook Messenger can also be accessed in two ways on a PC. You could either go to Messenger.com in order to access the web version, or you could download the desktop client and then take care of your texting needs from there.
- First, head to Messenger’s official site and log in with the required credentials. Now, tap on the gear icon (Settings) at the top of the left-hand-side panel. Then, just head to ‘Settings.’
- Finally, tap on the toggle next to ‘Show when you’re active.’
Messenger desktop client
- Open the Messenger desktop client and then log in with your Facebook username and password. Now, tap on your profile picture and go to ‘Preferences.’
- Here, you’ll see ‘Active Status’ as the first option as well. Press the toggle below ‘Show Active Status’ to disable it.
- Last, but not least, let’s now look at the method of turning off chat for all contacts on Facebook.com. First, you have to log in to your Facebook account, then tap on the gear icon (‘Options’) at the bottom of the Chat sidebar. When a menu pops up, then just click on ‘Turn off Active Status.’
- Then, choose ‘Turn of Active Status for all contacts’ and tap on ‘Okay.’
How to turn off Active Status for particular contacts?
- You can’t really turn off the Active Status for specific contacts via Messenger Web, Messenger for mobile, or the desktop client. So, you’d have to go through Facebook.com in order to turn Active Status off for particular contacts.
- In order to turn it off, just log in to your Facebook profile and tap on the gear icon (‘Options’) just below the Chat sidebar. Then, click on ‘Turn off Active Status.’
- On the next screen, choose ‘Turn off active status for only some contact’s and also add the contacts in the text field below.
How can you enable active status for a few contacts? | Stop Someone Seeing You Online
On the opposite side of the previously-discussed topic, we also have this — the option of turning off Active Status for all but a few contacts. This feature actually comes in especially handy whenever you want to stay available to only a couple of chosen contacts and also want to stay unavailable to others. But, similar to the previous section, this, too, is only available via Facebook and not Messenger.
In order to turn off Active Status for all except a few contacts. First, you’ll have to log in to your Facebook account. Then, tap on the little gear icon (‘Options’) just below the Chat window as well. Now, tap on ‘Turn off Active Status.’
A sub-window would open, prompting you to select from the three options. Choose ‘Turn off active status for all contacts except..’ and enter the names of the contacts in the text field as well.
Do mute, blocked, or ignored people see your Active Status?
Muting doesn’t really change the way a person sees you on Facebook. That means that muting someone takes no toll on the way the person interacts along with you. They’d still be able to send you messages and also see your Active Status. The only difference here would be that you guys won’t be notified whenever a new message pushes through.
When you ignore a person, then their conversation with you is moved straight to the Spam/Filtered Messages request. Interestingly, it’s also the folder where all the random messages too— from people who aren’t in your friend list on Facebook — are saved. So, just like a non-Facebook friend, an ‘Ignored’ person cannot really see your Active Status and won’t know when you’ve read their messages as well. Ignoring is actually the right way to go if you’re looking to turn the Active Status off for only one or two people as well.
A blocked person won’t actually be able to find you on Facebook, just let alone see your Active Status. So, if you’ve blocked someone on Facebook. Rest assured that they won’t be able to contact you in any shape or form as well.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this “Stop Someone Seeing You Online” article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!