The main cause of the error 0xc000000f is whenever BOOTMGR can’t find BCD (Boot Configuration Database) information on the hard disk as well. The BCD information might be corrupted or also missing from the hard disk and in order to fix this issue. You guys have to repair or rebuild BCD. Also, many times this error is caused because of system files being compromised or corrupted, and one more reason for this error in order to show up may be due to loss of faulty HDD cable. In this article, we are going to talk about An Error that Occurred While Attempting to Read the Boot Configuration Data. Let’s begin!
Restarting your PC will not really help in this case as you will again see the error message screen. In short, you will be stuck into an infinite reboot loop as well. Now you know why this error occurs, so without even wasting any time let’s see how you can actually Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data along with the below-listed troubleshooting steps.
- 1 How to Fix An Error Occurred While Attempting to Read the Boot Configuration Data
How to Fix An Error Occurred While Attempting to Read the Boot Configuration Data
Run Automatic/Startup Repair
- You have to insert the Windows 10 bootable installation DVD or Recovery Disc and restart your PC.
- Whenever prompted to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key in order to continue.
- Choose your language preferences, and tap on Next. Click Repair your computer in the bottom-left.
- On choose an option screen, you need to tap on Troubleshoot.
- Then on Troubleshoot screen, just click the Advanced option.
- Now on the Advanced options screen, tap on Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- You have to wait until the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs are complete.
- Just restart and you guys have successfully Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data, if not, then continue.
Repair or Rebuild BCD | Read the Boot Configuration
- Using the above method open command prompt via Windows installation disk.
- You have to type the following commands one by one and hit enter after each one:
a) bootrec.exe /FixMbr b) bootrec.exe /FixBoot c) bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
- If the above command fails then just enter the following commands in cmd:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup c: cd boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd
- At last, exit the cmd and restart your Windows.
- This method seems to Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data. however, if it doesn’t work for you then continue.
Check for loose or faulty HDD cable
In most of the cases, this error occurs due to the faulty or loose connection of the hard disk. And in order to make sure that this is not the case where you have to check your PC for any type of fault in the connection.
Important: It is not recommended to open the casing of your PC if it’s under warranty because it will void your warranty, a better approach. So, in this case, will be taking your PC to the service center. Also, if you don’t have any technical knowledge then don’t mess along with the PC. And make sure to look for an expert technician that can help you in checking for faulty or loose connection of hard disk as well.
When you have checked the proper connection of hard disk is established, then reboot your PC and this time you may be able to Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred whenever attempting to read the boot configuration data.
Restore your PC to an earlier working time
- You have to put in the Windows installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc and choose your language preferences, and then tap on Next
- Tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
- Now select Troubleshoot and then Advanced Options.
- At last, click on “System Restore” and follow on-screen instructions in order to complete the restore.
- 5.Restart your PC to save changes.
Run SFC and CHKDSK | Read the Boot Configuration
- Again just head to the command prompt using method 1. Just tap on the command prompt in the Advanced options screen.
- Then type the following command in cmd and hit enter after each one:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Note: Make sure you guys use the drive letter where Windows currently installs. Also in the above command C: is the drive on which we actually want to run check disk, /f stands for a flag that chkdsk the permission. In order to fix any errors associated along with the drive, /r. Let chkdsk search for bad sectors and perform recovery, and /x instructs the check disk to dismount the drive before beginning the process as well.
- Now just exit the command prompt and restart your PC.
When this command is used, the main partition now generates the error “The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.” However, the good thing is that it actually repairs the second partition.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!