If your SD card is not recognized via your PC then the problem may actually be related to drivers. In most of cases, the issue is caused due to outdated, corrupt, or incompatible drivers, hardware issues, device issues, etc. Now the SD card may also not be detected in both the internal SD card reader. As well as USB SD Card Reader as we have already discussed that this is actually a software issue. So the only way to verify this is to try to access the SD card in another PC. See if the SD card is working on another PC and if it is then this means the problem is only on your PC. as well. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix SD Card Reader Not Working in Windows. Let’s begin!
there is another issue here that if your computer recognizes smaller as well as lower memory SD cards like 1 GB or 2GB. However, fails to read a 4 GB, 8 GB, or also higher SDHC Card then your computer’s internal reader is not SDHC compliant. Initially, SD card was only able to have a maximum of 2 GB capacity, however, later on, SDHC specificated was developed in order to increase the capacity of SD cards to 32 or 64 GB capacity. Computers purchased before 2008 may not really be SDHC compatible.
Another case is where your SD card is recognized via PC, however, when you guys head to File Explorer there is no drive showing the SD card. That basically means your PC has failed in order to recognize the SD card. So without even wasting any time let’s see how to actually Fix the SD Card not Recognized via PC with the help of the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Do the following things before trying the below steps:
- Try to remove dust from your SD Card Reader as well as also clean your SD Card.
- Now check your SD card is working on another PC that will make sure it’s not faulty.
- Then, you can see if some other SD card is working properly or not.
- You have to make sure the SD card is not locked, just slide the switch to the bottom to unlock it.
- The last thing is just to check if your SD card is broken, in which case no SD or SDHC card will work and the below-listed steps won’t really fix it.
How to Fix SD Card Reader Not Working in Windows
Disable and Re-enable SD card
- You have to tap on Windows Key + R and then type devmgmt. msc and hit Enter in order to open Device Manager.
- Now expand SD Host Adapters or Memory Technology Devices under that you guys will see your device Realtek PCI-E Card, reader.
- Right-tap on it and then choose Disable, it will ask for confirmation select Yes in order to continue.
- Now again, you have to right-click and choose Enable.
- This will definitely fix the SD Card not Recognized via PC issue, if not then again then head to device manager.
- This time you have to expand portable devices and then right-click on your SD card device letter and choose Disable.
- Again right-click and then choose Enable.
Change SD Card Drive Letter | SD Card Reader Not Working
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type diskmgmt.msc and click on Enter.
- Now, just right-click on your SD card and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Now in the next window, just tap on the Change button.
- Then from the drop-down, you have to choose any alphabet except the current one and tap on OK.
- This alphabet will be the new drive letter for SD Card as well.
- Again see if you guys are able to Fix SD Card, not Recogn ized via PC issue or not.
Save BIOS to the default configuration
- Turn off your laptop, and then turn it on and simultaneously tap on F2, DEL, or F12 (relying on your manufacturer) to enter into BIOS setup.
- Now you’ll have to find the reset option in order to load the default configuration and it may be named Reset to default. Just load factory defaults, Clear BIOS settings, Load setup defaults, or something just the same.
- Choose it with your arrow keys, click on Enter, and confirm the operation. Your BIOS will now use its default settings as well.
- Again try to log in along with the last password you remember into your PC.
Uninstall your SD card reader | SD Card Reader Not Working
- First of all, you have tap on Windows Key + R and then type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
- Now expand SD host adapters or Disk Drives then right-click on your SD Card and then choose Uninstall.
- If asked for confirmation, then select Yes.
- Reboot in order to save changes and Windows will automatically install the default drivers for the USB.
Update SD Card Drivers
- You have to tap on Windows Key + R and then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter in order to open Device Manager.
- Just expand SD host adapters or Disk Drives and then right-click on your SD Card and then choose Update Driver.
- Then select Search automatically for updated driver software as well.
- Just reboot your PC to save changes. If the problem still persists then just follow the next step.
- Again you have to choose Update Driver Software but this time choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software.‘
- Next, at the bottom tap on ‘Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.‘
- Choose the latest driver from the list and then tap on Next.
- Now let the Windows install drivers and when complete close everything.
- Just reboot your PC to save changes and you guys may be able to Fix SD Card not Recognized via PC issue.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this “SD Card Reader Not Working” article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!