Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error is basically caused as DHCP or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is just unable to get a valid IP Address from your NIC (Network Interface Card) actually. The Network Interface Card is typically a hardware component with which your PC can connect to the network. Without NIC, your PC cannot establish a stable network connection and is mostly paired along with your Modem or router via an Ethernet cable. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix an Ethernet that Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration. Let’s begin!
Well, Dynamic IP configuration is enabled, by default, so that a user does not have to manually enter any settings to connect to a network along with a DHCP server. however, because your Ethernet doesn’t have one, then you won’t be able to access the internet and you might get an error such as Limited connectivity or No internet access.
- 1 How to Fix Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration
- 1.1 Reset Router
- 1.2 Restart Router
- 1.3 Run Network Adapter Troubleshooter
- 1.4 Restart DNS & DHCP Client
- 1.5 Reset TCP/IP Configuration & Windows Sockets
- 1.6 Turn Off Fast Startup | Valid IP Configuration
- 1.7 Change Network Adapter Settings
- 1.8 Update Ethernet Driver | Valid IP Configuration
- 1.9 Reinstall Ethernet Drivers
- 1.10 Conclusion
How to Fix Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration
This error can be caused via many reasons. Some of them are:
- Faulty Network Adapter Driver
- Incorrect Network Configuration
- Faulty or Malfunctioning Router
In this section, we also have compiled a list of methods that will help you to fix the said error.
Resetting the router will actually bring the router to its factory settings. All the settings and setups such as forwarded ports, black-listed connections, credentials, etc., will be erased actually.
Note: Make a note of your ISP credentials before you guys reset your router.
- Tap and hold the RESET/RST button for about 10 seconds. It is mostly built-in by default to avoid an accidental press.
Note: You guys have to use pointing devices such as a pin, screwdriver, as well as toothpick in order to press the RESET button.
- 2. Now wait for a while till the network connection is re-establish.
Restarting the router will also re-initiate the network connectivity. Follow the below-mentioned steps in order to do so:
- Just find the ON/OFF button at the back of your router.
- Tap on the button once to turn OFF your router.
- 3. Now, disconnect the power cable and then wait until the power is entirely drained from the capacitors.
- Then Reconnect the cable and turn it on.
Run Network Adapter Troubleshooter
Running the Network Adapter Troubleshooter will basically resolve any glitches in the Ethernet connection and possibly. Just fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error.
- You have to type troubleshoot in the Windows Search Bar and click on Enter.
- Now, tap on Additional troubleshooters.
- Next, just choose Network Adapter displayed that is under the Find and fix other problems section.
- Tap on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Now, the Network Adapter troubleshooter will then open. You guys just have to wait for the process to be completed.
- Select Ethernet on Select the network adapter to diagnose screen and tap on Next.
- If any issue is found, tap on Apply this fix and then follow the instructions given in successive prompts.
- When the troubleshooting is completed, the Troubleshooting has completed screen will appear. Tap on Close & Restart Windows PC.
Restart DNS & DHCP Client
Domain Name Servers actually convert domain names into IP addresses to assign to your PC. Just like that, DHCP client service requires for error-free internet connectivity. If you guys face network-related issues, you can also restart DHCP & DNS clients to troubleshoot them. Here’s how you can do so:
- Tap on Windows + R keys together in order to launch the Run dialog box.
- Then type services.msc, and then hit Enter to launch Services window.
- Right-click on the Network Store Interface Service tab and choose Restart, as shown.
- Now navigate to DNS client in the Services window. Right-tap on it, and select the Refresh option, as illustrated below.
- Just repeat the same for refreshing the DHCP client as well.
When the restart process is completed, then check if the issue resolves or not. If not, try the next fix.
Reset TCP/IP Configuration & Windows Sockets
Few users also have reported that they could fix Ethernet doesn’t really have a valid IP configuration whenever you guys reset TCP/IP configuration along with Windows network sockets. Implement the given instructions in order to try it out:
- You just have to type Command Prompt in the Search Menu. Tap on Run as administrator.
- Now type the following commands one by one and click on Enter key after each command.
ipconfig /release ipconfig /all ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /renew
- Now, you have to type netsh winsock reset and press Enter key to execute.
- Just like that, execute netsh int IP reset command.
- Now just restart your PC in order to apply these changes.
Turn Off Fast Startup | Valid IP Configuration
Turning off the fast startup option is also recommended to fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error, as follows:
- Just search and Open Control Panel through Windows Search Bar,
- You can set View by > Large icons and tap on Power Options.
- Here, just tap on the Choose what the power button does option.
- Now, tap on Change settings that are currently unavailable under the Define power buttons and then turn on password protection.
- Just uncheck the box marked Turn on fast startup (recommended) as well.
- At last, click on Save Changes and then restart your PC.
Change Network Adapter Settings
IPv4 address also has larger packets, and thus your network connection will be stabilized whenever you change it to IPv4 rather than IPv6. Just follow the below-mentioned steps to do this in order to fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error:
- Tap on Windows + I keys simultaneously in order to open Windows Settings.
- Choose Network & Internet settings.
- Then, tap on Ethernet in the left pane.
- Just scroll down the right menu and tap on Network and Sharing Center under Related settings.
- There, tap on your Ethernet Connection.
Note: Just make sure you are connected to an Ethernet connection. We have shown a Wi-Fi connection as an example here.
- Now, tap on Properties.
- Then uncheck the box marked Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6).
- Next, choose Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- Just choose the icon titled Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Then, enter the below-mentioned values in the respective fields as well.
Preferred DNS server: 220.127.116.11
Alternate DNS server: 18.104.22.168
- Next, choose to Validate settings upon exit and tap on OK. Just close all screens.
Update Ethernet Driver | Valid IP Configuration
Updating network drivers to the latest version is just really important for the smooth functioning of your device.
- Just navigate to manufacturer website and then download the desired network drivers.
- Tap on Start and type device manager. Then, tap on Open.
- Double-click on the Network adapters section in order to expand it.
- Right-tap on your network driver (e.g. Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller) and choose Update driver.
- Choose “Browse my computer for driver software.”
- Now, tap on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my PC.
- Choose the network driver downloaded in Step 1 and tap on Next.
- Now just repeat the same for all network adapters.
Reinstall Ethernet Drivers
You guys can uninstall the drivers and install them again in order to fix Ethernet that doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error. So, follow the below-mentioned steps in order to implement the same:
- Head to Device Manager > Network adapters, as earlier.
- Right-tap on your network driver and choose Uninstall device.
- When asked for confirmation, just check the box marked Delete the driver software for this device and tap on OK. Now restart your PC.
- Tap on Action > Scan for hardware changes.
- Or, you can navigate to manufacturer websites e.g. Intel to download & install network drivers as well.
- Just reboot your PC in order to save changes.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!