Android also has always blocked the installation of APKs from unknown sources for better security as well. It required us to turn on the installation of APK files first under Settings » Security » Unknown sources. When enabled, then you can then install apps via APK files from any app on your phone. Such as file manager, browser, etc. However, it’s not that easy with Android Oreo. In this article, we are going to talk about Install from unknown sources on Android Oreo. Let’s begin!
With the Android Oreo, the installation of apps from Unknown sources has now been replaced along with a different option altogether. Whenever you try to install an APK from anywhere other than the Play Store. Then you will greet along with a popup leading you to “External Sources”.
From there you can turn on that app to permit future installations without even being blocked. This new feature lets us have more flexibility over which apps need permission and which do not as well. This is especially useful for people who do not really have access to the Play Store. You can also install certain apps from third-party stores and then turn off this permission after doing this for that store app alone.
You can also get this done from within the settings too.
How to Turn on Install from unknown sources on Android Oreo
Well, it’s not called that anymore, instead, it’s called ‘Install other apps‘ now actually. And here’s how you find that option and turn on the installation of APK files. Note that you have to do this for each and every app you want to install APK files from.
- First of all, head over to Settings.
- Tap on the new Apps and Notifications menu.
- Head to Special Access at the bottom.
- Then proceed in order to install other apps which are also towards the bottom.
- Tap on the app you want to permit or block.
- Then click on the switch next to the Trust app from this source as well.
- Now, head back to your app, and click on the APK file in order to install it. On the File manager app, it’s darn easy, however, in browsers, go to the downloads section and then click on APK file, in order to begin its installation.
Install Apps from Unknown Sources on Other Android Versions
On older Android phones and devices along with specific UI, the method in order to install apps from unknown sources can be different.
- Open Settings and then click on Security (May appear as Security & Privacy).
- On the next screen, turn on the installation of Apps from Unknown Sources via moving the toggle to the ON position.
- Now on the warning pop-up, tap on OK in order to confirm.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!