Minecraft is actually a great game to play with friends, and then you can cross-play along with them no matter the platform, as long as you have the same version as well. This also means that if you own the Java Edition of Minecraft, then you can only play along with folks who also have the Java Edition. The same goes for the Bedrock Edition also. If you guys have different versions, then you’ll have to buy the other one to play together. In this article, we are going to talk about how to play minecraft cross platform ps4 and box. Let’s begin!
All of the platforms that actually run Minecraft Bedrock Edition can play together. This also includes the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows PC, and also mobile devices. You guys will also need a Microsoft account in order to do this. Your Xbox account, if you guys have one, will work fine. Otherwise, you guys can make one for free right here.
When you have a Microsoft account, you’ll guys want to make sure that you’ve added the friend that you want to play with on that account. Most of the time this will need sending a friend invite to their Xbox Gamertag.
Some arguments never die; Mac vs PC, iOS vs Android, and also PC vs Console. Along with games, you guys will note that not all games release to all platforms. Some studios remain loyal to a specific console e.g. the PlayStation, whenever others prefer to release for more than one or all of them as well. Many games are available on all or almost all platforms. Case in point; Minecraft. It’s really easily one of the most widely distributed games. Then you can play it on a desktop, phone, and also on consoles.
Cross-play in gaming
Cross-play means that the platform you just play a game on is mostly irrelevant whenever you want to play with many other players. If a game supports cross-play, it will permit users that play on a PC in order to play with other users also who may be on an Xbox or a PlayStation.
Cross-play needs proper support. Just because a game is also available on multiple platforms doesn’t necessarily mean. That players from all platforms will be able to play along with each other. They may also still be limited to playing along with just users who are on the same platform as them. That’s actually why games that are famous across multiple platforms are mostly urged to add cross-play support. The idea has been around for ages, however, only recently has it become famous enough for studios in order to pay attention.
Cross play Minecraft
Minecraft is actually a game that started out on the PC but has expanded to every gaming platform there is. It is also available on;
- Windows 10 (PC)
- Xbox (Not supported on the Xbox One Edition as well)
- Nintendo Switch
For each of the above platforms, Minecraft supports cross-play, however, for Windows 10, cross-play is only available for the UWP or Bedrock version. The Java version does not really support it and the window for Java users in order to get the UWP version for free has closed. So if that’s the version you own, then you will have to buy the UWP one. Minecraft added support for cross-play along with the Better Together Update as well.
Minecraft Better Together Update
The Minecraft Better Together Update is actually a patch that was added to the game. In order to get it, you have to be running the latest version of Minecraft. This update was announced in 2017 so if you are running the latest version of the game on your console/computer/phone, then you already have it.
If you are on the PlayStation, also support for Cross-play was added in December 2019. We are well into 2020 now so you guys should already have it if the game is updated on your console as well.
How to Cross-play Minecraft: PS4/Xbox/PC/Switch | minecraft cross platform
In order to cross-play Minecraft you guys have to;
- Just create a free Xbox account. You don’t need Xbox Live unless you guys play on an Xbox.
- You now have to link the Xbox account to the Minecraft account that you guys will be playing with. This needs to be done on the device that you are actually playing on.
- For the PS4: Open Minecraft on your console, and choose the ‘Sign in for free’ option that you see. Sign in along with the Xbox account that you created. When signed in, Minecraft will redirect you to the login page and it will show a code on the console. Now enter the code on the page and tap on Let’s Play.
- For the Nintendo Switch: Open Minecraft and choose the ‘Sign in for free’ option. Sign in along with the Xbox account that you created. You guys will see a code on your console. Enter it on this page as well. Sign in to your Xbox account again if prompted to, and also the two accounts will be linked.
- For the Xbox: Your account is already set up and you guys do not have to do anything.
- For Windows 10: Open Minecraft and tap on the Sign In option at the bottom left. Now sign in with your Xbox account, and you are good to go.
- Make sure all players that you guys need to play with have fulfilled the above two requirements as well. Add these players as friends on Xbox as well. In order to add friends to Xbox;
- Then visit the official Xbox website and sign in along with your Xbox account. Head to My Xbox>Friends. Now use the search bar to look for your friends via their account and add them.
- Make sure version homogeneity: The map that you need to play on must have been created for the latest version that also supports cross-play. Everyone that is going to play on the map must also be running the latest version of Minecraft i.e., also it must be a version that supports cross-play though ideally. Also, everyone should be running the latest version of the game no matter what as well.
- You guys are now ready for cross-play. Open Minecraft on your device as well. Head to the Friends tab, and you guys will see your friends listed there. Just invite them to a map, or also they can invite you to play on a map.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this “minecraft cross platform” article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!