Does it ever happen to you whenever you are browsing the internet, watching a Youtube video, sending out a mail, or doing your Paypal transactions, and suddenly nothing works at all. All you can see is This connection is not the private message in Safari? In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix This Connection is not Private in Safari. Let’s begin!
Maybe I’m a little bit unlucky, however, this issue is bothering a lot of users just like you and me. And most of the time, this error message occurs in the Safari browser in MacBooks & macOS Computers.
The websites are becoming more secured day by day as well. They are being protected along with encryption and other security protocols. But, not only are websites becoming secure, however, even the web browsers are implementing a lot of ways to become secure. There are a lot of shady sites on the internet that intend to steal your data and also having a secured browser its utmost importance as well.
Apple Safari is a really secure platform, and it keeps you protected from all the websites that can actually harm you. Whenever you try to visit a website that is not protected via HTTPS protocol, safari will show an error message “This connection is not private.”
How to Fix This Connection is not Private in Safari
Safari is one of the safest web browsers as it helps to encrypt websites and gives many other security protocols in order to protect the data of its users. Since a lot of websites or spam links on the internet intend to steal user data. Safari should be your preferred web browser on Apple devices as well. It also blocks unsecured sites and protects your data from being hacked as well. Safari protects you from the prying eyes of hackers and also deceptive websites from inflicting harm or damage to your device as well. During this blocking, it also may trigger the said error.
Why This Connection is Not Private Safari Error occurs?
- Non-adherence to HTTPS Protocol: Whenever you guys try to navigate a website that is not protected via the HTTPS protocol. Then you will encounter This Connection is Not Private error.
- Expired SSL certification: If a website SSL certificate is expired or if this certification also has never been issued to this website, one may also encounter this error.
- Server Mismatch: Many times, this error may also occur as a result of a server mismatch. This reason may also hold true if the website that you are trying to open is a trusted one actually.
- Outdated browser: If you have not updated your browser in a really long time. Then it may not be able to communicate properly long with the website SSL, that may result in this error.
Use Visit the Website Option
The easiest solution in order to fix This Connection is Not a Private error on Safari is to visit the website anyway.
- Tap on Show Details and then choose Visit the Website option.
- Just Confirm your selection and then you will be able to navigate to the desired website.
Check Internet Connectivity | This Connection is not Private
If your Wi-Fi is on, the network along with the best signal strength will be chosen automatically. But, this won’t make sure that it is the right network. Only strong, secure, and viable connections should be utilized for browsing the internet through Safari. You have to open networks that tend to contribute to Safari errors such as This Connection is Not Private error.
Restart your Device
You can do away with this error by simply, restarting your Apple device.
- In the case of a MacBook, you have to tap on the Apple menu and choose Restart.
- In the case of an iPhone or an iPad, you have to tap and hold the power button to switch the device off. Then, turn it on long-pressing it until the Apple logo appears as well.
- In addition to the above, then try restarting your Wi-Fi router. Or, reset it via tapping on the Reset button.
- Run an Online Speed Test in order to confirm if basic troubleshooting steps have worked or not.
Disable Third-party Apps | This Connection is not Private
We highly recommend you to use only those applications that are sponsored via Apple on the App Store for iOS & macOS devices as well. Third-party applications such as antivirus software can also trigger this error, by mistake. They do this via overriding your normal network preferences. How can you fix a Connection that is not Private? Just, disable or uninstall unverified third-party apps in order to fix it.
Delete Website Cache Data
Whenever you scroll through websites, a lot of your preferences get saved in the memory of the computer in the form of cache data. If this data gets corrupt, then you guys might encounter an error. The only solution in order to get rid of this data is by deleting it.
For iOS users:
- Click on Settings and choose Safari.
- Then, you have to tap on Clear History and Website Data.
For Mac users:
- Open the Safari browser and then choose Preferences.
- Tap on Privacy and then click on the Manage Website Data… as depicted below.
- At last, click on Remove All button in order to get rid of Browsing history.
- Tap on the Advanced tab in Preferences.
- You have to check the box titled Show Develop Menu option.
- Now, choose the Develop option from the Menu bar.
- At last, click on Empty Caches to delete cookies and clear the browsing history together.
Set Correct Date and Time | This Connection is not Private
Make sure that the date and time on your Apple device are correct in order to avoid This Connection is Not Private error on Safari.
On an iOS device:
- Tap on Settings and then, and then select General.
- From the list, now scroll to Date and Time and tap on it.
- In this menu, just toggle on the Set Automatically.
- Tap on the Apple menu and then head to System Preferences.
- You have to choose Date & Time, as shown.
- There, just check the box next to Set date and time automatically in order to fix This Connection is Not Private error.
Use Private Browsing Mode
You can also utilize the private browsing mode in order to view a website without encountering This Connection is Not Private error. You have to copy the URL address of the website and then paste it into the Private Window on Safari. If the error no longer appears, then you can also use the same URL in order to open it in Normal mode.
On an iOS device:
- You have to open the Safari app on your iPhone or iPad and click on the New Tab icon.
- Choose Private to browse in the Private window and click on Done.
On Mac OS device:
- Open the Safari web browser on your MacBook.
- Now tap on File and select New Private Window, as highlighted below.
Use Keychain Access (Only for Mac) | This Connection is not Private
If this error only occurs whenever launching the website on Mac. You can utilize the Keychain Access application in order to fix it, as follows:
- First off all, open Keychain Access from Mac Utilities Folder.
- Then find the Certificate and double-click on it.
- Next, tap on Trust > Always Trust. Navigate to the website again to check if the error has been resolved.
Note: Delete the certificate, if this doesn’t work for you actually.
Turn off VPN
VPN or Virtual Private Network is utilized in order to access those websites which are prohibited or restricted in your region actually. In case, you are unable to use VPN on your device, then try to turn it off as it might be causing This Connection is Not Private Safari error. After turning off the VPN, you can try to open the same website.
Delete the certificate
One way in order to fix this problem is to find and delete the certificate. To do that, just follow these steps:
- You have to check the certificate details from the page.
- Then head to the Keychain Access.
- Find the certificate and then delete it.
- Refresh the website and then select the option to access it anyway.
After doing that, the correct certificate should be installed and also the issue will be resolved.
Set the certificate to Always trust
Changing the certificate options can also help you to fix Connection is not a private message in Safari. This might not be the safest method, so you have to use it only for websites that you trust:
- First of all, open the Keychain Access.
- Then find the certificate and choose Get Info.
- Expand Trust and now set When using this certificate to Always Trust.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Also See: How to Fix Problem with Wireless Adapter or Access Point
Leave a Reply